What's new

Screen density - Why can i see more at a lower resolution?

riggi

If I set my resolution to 1920*1080 I get 3 rows of tiles on the metro screen and if I go into the pc settings from the charms menu I can't see all of the items in the left pane. I have to scroll down a bit.

If I set my resolution to 1600*900 I get 4 rows of tiles and in the pc settings menu I can see all items without scrolling.

To me, everything is a nicer size at 1600*900 (it doesn't look so "Fischer Price") but the fonts etc. look sharper at 1920*1080.

Does anyone know how to get the same screen density at 1920*1080 as you do at 1600*900?
Is there some reg hack to trick the system to thinking your display is a different size or something?

Thanks,
Rich

cienveryon

Do you know the default scaling factor is 125% in 1920*1080? I dont know what is the factor in 1600*900, maybe 100%. You can check it at screen resolution setting page.

OP
R

riggi

Yes.
This is with 100% scaling for both resolutions.

If you change the resolution, the scaling doesn't change.

If you change the scaling, you need to log out and log back in to windows.
Here is what each resolution looks like at 100% scaling
10AUfaP

10AUl25

1600x900

1920x1080

Last edited:

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
There's a thread to change the screen-size (in ") in the registry to get 4 or 5 tiles - 12.1" delivers a good compromise between 4 rows and having still an usable screen-keyboard.

cienveryon

I think the modern UI has its own scaling factor other than the desktop scaling factor. Maybe it cannot changed. No idea.

mitchellvii

There's a thread to change the screen-size (in ") in the registry to get 4 or 5 tiles - 12.1" delivers a good compromise between 4 rows and having still an usable screen-keyboard.

Where is this thread of which you speak?

OP
R

riggi

OK. I've set my monitor to 12.7". Using the reg entry here
Everything is a nicer size.
I can use 1920x1080 with 100% scaling, and just increase the font sizes under the scaling settings to 12 and it looks good.

The settings screen from the charms bar looks good now.

Only "problem" is I get 5 rows of tiles on the Metro screen and I'd prefer 4 with slightly larger tiles and text.
I can't seem to force it to 4 rows. I'll live with/get used to the 5 rows for the sake of everything else looking nice.