What's new

Screen does not turn off after 'x' minutes when on battery

LewsTherin

Good afternoon,

I've been lurking the forum for a while and finally decided to sign up. Unfortunately it's largely due to a problem I have been unable to resolve on my own.

I have one of the 4300U SP2s and recently I've noticed that the screen will not turn off on it's own when I'm on battery power.
Regardless of the power plan or specified timeout setting. If I manually hit the power button to turn of the display, sleep etc... seem to be fine.
However if I'm using the surface dock, everything functions normally as you would expect.
Is this the "sleep issue" people have been referring to with the December firmware?

I did not load the flawed December firmware, though I did get the January update apparently.
Unfortunately I cannot remember if I had this problem before that or not.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any suggestions?

The only thing I can think of to try and this point is a factory reset, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
This is a problem for lots of people with no known single solution. Some of the common solutions:

- Type 'powercfg /REQUESTS' into command line (administrative mode) and see if any particular programs are blocking your machine from sleeping. If so, you can possibly override that program...but you'll have to search around for the details on how to do that
- Try unjoining a HOMEGROUP (if you've joined one)
- Try setting 'allow device to wake computer' in device manager for all touchpad and mouse devices to OFF

Good luck...

OP
L

LewsTherin

That's what I was afraid of. Appreciate the quick response, I'll give these suggestions a shot this evening.

Thanks!

munakib

That's what I was afraid of. Appreciate the quick response, I'll give these suggestions a shot this evening.

Thanks!

I am going through the same issue, this is so pathetic....MS is a software company rite?

Last edited:
OP
L

LewsTherin

Well I ended up doing a system recovery. Tried everything else without success, but the recovery did the trick.

I'm being prompted to install the 1/18 firmware again and believe I will pass this time. I'm not 100% sure that was the cause, but the timing seems right and I've loaded no other software since that update.

Last edited:

Chfin

This is a problem for lots of people with no known single solution. Some of the common solutions:

- Type 'powercfg /REQUESTS' into command line (administrative mode) and see if any particular programs are blocking your machine from sleeping. If so, you can possibly override that program...but you'll have to search around for the details on how to do that
- Try unjoining a HOMEGROUP (if you've joined one)
- Try setting 'allow device to wake computer' in device manager for all touchpad and mouse devices to OFF

Good luck...

I am also having the same problem as OP. I have to remember to press the power button or close the cover if I am going afk to ensure SP2 will go to sleep. The only firmware I installed is from Oct 2013.

I will try your suggestions. When this 'preventing sleep' happens, I checked task manager few times and the CPU usage was at around 30% and the two process running with CPU time is System and System Interruptions. I wonder if this is related to MicroSD card somehow. Sometimes when I wake up my SP2, it tries to do that 'new device found' thing for the MicroSD card.