What's new

Screen flickers/turns off when touched

jimk

Hey guys, posted this to the MS Community forums but I'm not holding my breath...

I've had my Surface Pro 3 for about 3 months and hadn't run into an issue until this morning. I use my SP for work. I used it yesterday without a problem, put it away, and when I went to turn it on this morning, the display was blank. It was black, but you could tell it was illuminated. I did all of the tricks, holding the power button, the power button and the volume up button, etc, but nothing worked. I connected it to an external monitor and that worked perfectly, so I figured the issue was with the touch screen display.

I ran all Windows Updates. I did a factory reset. Still, the display wouldn't show even as much as the Surface logo upon booting.

Finally, when I had given up for the day, I snapped my keyboard cover back on, closed it and just when I was about put it away, I wondered if it had something to do with the cover. I opened the cover and, lo and behold, the display was on....temporarily.

It went blank again but then flickered some more and stayed on for a little while. But now, if I touch a certain part of the screen, the screen turns off (or flickers). Sometimes, if I hit the sweet spot, it turns off altogether and I have to mash the screen a little to get it to display again. I took a video of the behavior: Here's the link
Can you provide some specific advice? I'm hoping for more than links to the FAQs and Knowledge Base, because I've been trying those for hours.

Thank you.

malberttoo

Hey guys, posted this to the MS Community forums but I'm not holding my breath...

I've had my Surface Pro 3 for about 3 months and hadn't run into an issue until this morning. I use my SP for work. I used it yesterday without a problem, put it away, and when I went to turn it on this morning, the display was blank. It was black, but you could tell it was illuminated. I did all of the tricks, holding the power button, the power button and the volume up button, etc, but nothing worked. I connected it to an external monitor and that worked perfectly, so I figured the issue was with the touch screen display.

I ran all Windows Updates. I did a factory reset. Still, the display wouldn't show even as much as the Surface logo upon booting.

Finally, when I had given up for the day, I snapped my keyboard cover back on, closed it and just when I was about put it away, I wondered if it had something to do with the cover. I opened the cover and, lo and behold, the display was on....temporarily.

It went blank again but then flickered some more and stayed on for a little while. But now, if I touch a certain part of the screen, the screen turns off (or flickers). Sometimes, if I hit the sweet spot, it turns off altogether and I have to mash the screen a little to get it to display again. I took a video of the behavior: Here's the link
Can you provide some specific advice? I'm hoping for more than links to the FAQs and Knowledge Base, because I've been trying those for hours.

Thank you.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

It seems pretty obvious that this is a hardware defect of some kind. You should waste no more time on it, and get an exchange initiated through Surface Support.