What's new

Screen Flirting (shake)

Najah Adam

Dear All,

Since couple of months, I'm having a terrible screen shaking and flirting in Surface Pro 4 - this is irresistibly horrible... Any help guys, please! I real need to enjoy my Pro again.

Thank you, Najah

leeshor

Welcome to the forum
I modified your tile as that prefix is reserved for tutorials.

What brightness are you using? The SP4s are prone to some flickering at 25% or lower, to be fixed in a patch.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Does screen flickering only happen in Edge? There is a known problem with the video drivers which causes screen flickering when displaying some video content.

robertnd2

I have had this issue for several months and it has been getting progressively worse (it started out of the blue). It started with the bottom half inch of the screen "jittering". In the beginning, it would stop after 5-10 minutes of turning the display on, which I attribute to it warming up or something. Over time, it no longer went away after warming up. Right now it does it all of the time and the size of the area is larger..it is now the bottom inch and a half of the screen. I have pretty much decided recently that this has got to be a display hardware issue and I am going to have to send the device back for replacement. I really don't want to do that, but I see no other option at this point.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have had this issue for several months and it has been getting progressively worse (it started out of the blue). It started with the bottom half inch of the screen "jittering". In the beginning, it would stop after 5-10 minutes of turning the display on, which I attribute to it warming up or something. Over time, it no longer went away after warming up. Right now it does it all of the time and the size of the area is larger..it is now the bottom inch and a half of the screen. I have pretty much decided recently that this has got to be a display hardware issue and I am going to have to send the device back for replacement. I really don't want to do that, but I see no other option at this point.
Yours sounds like a hardware issue....I would contact Microsoft and request an RMA.

Amber

I have the same problem. Microsoft gave me a refurbished model after my first RT refused to even turn on. Just before the warranty ran out the problem started. My RT is now unusable. I have been using my boyfriend's Samsung.
Because my warranty has expired, Microsoft refuses to talk to me now so I have a completely useless and expensive paper weight. Plus you can't even take it to a regular computer shop as they can not be pulled apart.
So disappointed with Microsoft on this one. I won't be using them again.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
The whole is screen is shaking! Even now as I'm writing, it seems as if it is going to fall down...

After 1 year and 11 days past the warranty - My SP4 has horrible flickering issues. Additionally, whenever I hook up an HDMI cable the picture fails after about 5 minutes of use. So - I call Microsoft Support and they are more than happy to point out it has passed the warranty date. However, since I bought it / live in Germany, all warranties are by default 2 years.(HA!)

Microsoft support then goes on to ask the obvious questions - "Did you uninstall / reinstall the SP4 drivers? Did you do a screen calibration? Is the screen damaged? What other issues does this cause? Have you tried to manually install the drivers? (Here's a good one, and YES they actually asked this) Did you drop your device?"

So, after I submit this trouble ticket, it then takes Microsoft 3 days to update the warranty and they send along a printable UPS shipping sticker and tell me to only send the device - No power cord, no keyboard, and DO NOT send it in the original box as they could not guarantee the return of such, that keeping the box would help with any resale efforts. They stated I would NOT be getting a new SP4, but definitely a refurbished SP4. I plan to make a small mark with a permanent maker somewhere under the stand to check if they actually send me a refurbished device (or not). I wouldn't put it past them to just send mine back stating they "worked on it, and the issue was resolved" - Since the issue is intermittent & I made this clear, they may just take a quick glance at it and send it back. They did say that it sounds like a failing video card, which they have many of.

I realize this most likely did not help you – but flickering screens are usually NOT driver related.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
In regards to my previous posting about my SP4, warranty, Microsoft Support, and it failing at slightly less than a year old. I won't be buying anything Microsoft puts out again. I won't go into my licensing for MS - I will however definately never buy a Surface Pro or anything Microsoft has to sell again. I mean seriously. TWO GRAND is what I dropped on this thing and it fails at less than a year? Then MS Support jumps all over the fact that its 11 days beyond the warranty. Thankfully the German warranty laws cover that, but were I not living / bought my SP4 in Germany - I would have been outta luck completely. Who knows what the cost would have been then. I mean come the heck on MicroSoft -11 days? The telephone support technician was truly gleeful when she announced in broken English that my warranty had expired. Why would any company, after someone has spent 2 grand on a machine, do anything BUT replace it? I could see if it had scratches, dents, cracked screen, obvious damage - Nope, not one ding, honestly I never dropped it, or handled it roughly.

I just can't get past the happy tone in which the MS Tech rubbed this in my face, and I am not even exaggerating on this folks. Granted this is someone sitting on a phone, handling these calls all day. I would assume that many of these calls are not "friendly" in nature, and once in awhile when you get an opportunity to drop a doo-doo bomb on a user - I am sure it's nice. But WOW - OK - Rant over.