What's new

Screen keyboard appear in any form/field?

STLPilot

OK its pretty annoying that the screen keyboard has to be activated if starting to type into browser and even some programs.

Is there something that makes the keyboard appear anytime a typing request or your cursor appears?

Thanks!

Sin

What are you have issues in? In any Metro app the on-screen keyboard works fine for me. With a legacy desktop application, it doesn't work like that due to the applications needing to become touch aware. Even IE10 behaves differently between the Metro interface and the legacy desktop interface.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yep, it is a difference in behavior between desktop and Modern UI that is discussed thoroughly in other threads. Some people prefer it to always pop up and some are annoyed by it always popping up.

OP
S

STLPilot

i reallly dont understand it being annoying ... if no keyboard present ... and cursor appears ... when would it be a pia? works perfectly on android and all apps.

i reallly dont understand it being annoying ... if no keyboard present ... and cursor appears ... when would it be a pia? works perfectly on android and all apps.

Honestly, I don't like it on Android. The onscreen pops up even though I have a physical (Bluetooth) keyboard, and obscures the form I'm working on. This was a constant annoyance on the Galaxy Tab.

valhil2003

I actually have a similar issue, my surface pro (128gb) touch screen keyboard has been acting up ever since the latest update (Windows Defender) sent through Windows Update. I cannot even use the on screen keyboard to UNLOCK my surface. Any thoughts/advice/help on this???

J515OP

Super Moderator
I actually have a similar issue, my surface pro (128gb) touch screen keyboard has been acting up ever since the latest update (Windows Defender) sent through Windows Update. I cannot even use the on screen keyboard to UNLOCK my surface. Any thoughts/advice/help on this???

Yes, try a forum search. This is most likely because you removed the keyboard while your Surface was asleep. You can't do that on the Pro. Reattach it then wake it back up.

machistmo

Desktop

OK its pretty annoying that the screen keyboard has to be activated if starting to type into browser and even some programs.

Is there something that makes the keyboard appear anytime a typing request or your cursor appears?

Thanks!

From the Desktop, Which is where I live most of the time, there is a keyboard shortcut on the taskbar in the Systray.