What's new

Screen off without sleep mode.

Darcy

I've always wondered this too...

Up until now i've just setup a custom Power Plan & had the display turn off after 1 minute of idle.

GoodBytes

You can't, not unless you disable connected standby feature.
If you disable it, then you can use software to turn off the screen. I have made one which beside give you that ability via menu or keyboard shortcut, but it auto-switch Windows power plan based on if you are plugged in or not (configurable), and can control a desktop monitor brightness via keyboard shortcuts like laptop, supports multiple monitors as well (DDC/CI protocol compatible monitor support needed - most decent monitor should support it these days. So yes, you can install it on your desktop computer and use that feature just like that. :) )

http://www.nvgpupro.com/powermonitor/PowerMonitor_Setup_1.0.exe

If connect stand by is not disabled before using my or any other software to turn off the monitor, it will put the system to sleep instead.

Hernán Patané

Any ideas how to make screen off when lid closes or when power button pressed?
Here's the solution. It worked for me using Windows 10. It brought peace to my mind:
1) (Follow the instrucions in the link ) http://www.lovemysurface.net/turn-off-the-screen-on-surface-tablets/
2) The next step is to edit the registry. Proceed as carefully as if you were editing your bank account. Type “REGEDIT” in the windows search and open regedit.exe. Under Edit, you’ll click on “find” (Ctrl-F), enter “CsEnabled” in the field and let the search engine find the following registry item: System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled
The status will be enabled (a 1 appears in the parenthesis at the end of the statement) press ENTER and a pop-up registry entry editing screen appears allowing you to change the value to 0 (that’s a zero). You have just disabled connected standby in the registry. Close the registry editor window and reboot the computer. I edited power settings and set the power button to do nothing in battery mode ( there are other ways to turn off the computer). Viola! If, while playing music, you select Display Off on the right-click pop-up display menu, the screen goes black and the music keeps playing…

Share!

Didn't work for me. Did everything except disable power button. After 2 full reboots I launched a music file in MusicBee then right-clicked desktop and selected "Display off". Rebooted again launched Slacker app and streamed music, then right-clicked "Display off" again and music continues to play. Im guessing connected standby is still enabled. I doubled, triple checked everything. BTW I had CsEnabled twice in my registry and set them both to zero.

Hernán Patané

Didn't work for me. Did everything except disable power button. After 2 full reboots I launched a music file in MusicBee then right-clicked desktop and selected "Display off". Rebooted again launched Slacker app and streamed music, then right-clicked "Display off" again and music continues to play. Im guessing connected standby is still enabled. I doubled, triple checked everything. BTW I had CsEnabled twice in my registry and set them both to zero.
Hi! I've been using this with Spotify and it works well. It should work with any app or program because it only prevents the tablet to get into suspend mode. I'm far from being an expert on this. I followed the steps and I shared it because it worked. Maybe the OP can give you a precise reason of why it didn't work for you. Sorry man!