What's new

Screen Problem on my Surface 2

tucsat

I purchased the Surface on launch day and so far have really enjoyed using it. But I have had a problem with it. More than once after not using the tablet it goes to sleep and does not wake up. The touch keyboard lights up as it should and when I press the windows button at the bottom I can feel the slight haptic vibration but the screen remains black. None of the other button give any sort of change or response (power or volume). I haven't been able to replicate it consistently but I can tell you that it have five or six times in the last couple of days. Once at work while showing off my new toy (kind of embarrassing). Has anyone else had any sort of a problem like this? I want to contact MS about it but wanted to check with other owners first.

Paul

borka105

This just happened to me on my first generation Surface. it all of a sudden went black, the haptic response is still there, but it won't turn on. I bet this is more of an 8.1 issues than a hardware problem.

beman39

nope my surface RT did this too but at the very beginning before updates, afterwhich it went away, I think it might have something to do with connecting the keyboard...I think the only way to bring it back is a hard reset

CpCrunch

I purchased the Surface on launch day and so far have really enjoyed using it. But I have had a problem with it. More than once after not using the tablet it goes to sleep and does not wake up. The touch keyboard lights up as it should and when I press the windows button at the bottom I can feel the slight haptic vibration but the screen remains black. None of the other button give any sort of change or response (power or volume). I haven't been able to replicate it consistently but I can tell you that it have five or six times in the last couple of days. Once at work while showing off my new toy (kind of embarrassing). Has anyone else had any sort of a problem like this? I want to contact MS about it but wanted to check with other owners first.

Paul

This has happened to me as well. I've done a fair amount of research and it's definitely not isolated. I found this thread that describes the issue: Surface 2 Sleep of Death - Microsoft Community

You'll probably notice a fair amount of critical hardware errors on your reliability history with codes of 141 or 117. I'm still not sure whether it's a hardware issue or an 8.1 issue but I'm guessing the latter because it appears owners of non surface hardware are having similar problems.

If you learn anything, please let me know.

oollff

Same problem for me and i haven't used mine with any keyboard, so it isn't a keyboard problem. First time this happened to me was on a 12h flight, imagine my anger when i had planned to use it during the flight. I had to wait until the battery was depleted, that was the only way for it to turn off. Now i have found the 2 button shutdown (wish i would have know that during the flight) so i don't have any problem to turn it off, but it is still very irritating that it happens.

Solution 4: Two-button shutdown
Important
Don’t use this process on Surface RT or Surface 2.

Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:
Step 1: Swipe in from the right and tap or click Settings, tap or click Power Power icon, and then tap or click Shut down to shut down Surface. If you can’t shut down Surface normally, press and hold the Power button (located on top right) for 10 seconds.
Step 2: After Surface turns off, press and hold Volume Up (located on the left side) and the Power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4: Press and release the Power button to turn your Surface back on.