What's new

Screen Protector, or no screen protector, that is the question

gtmead09

Think the title says it all......... thoughts? Mine is home use with some very mild travel. I have the type keyboard which I always leave on it.

revmike

Screen protectors are in-expense insurance, I have them on all of my screen devices and they have never interfered with the color of the screen or the use of a stylus or finger. I read where a surface owner had the type keyboard scratch his unprotected screen, by some piece of grit, so it's all up to your choice to SP or not to SP.

Zkyevolved

There are a few types of people. Those who believe that you SHOULDN'T put on a screen protector because it'll interfere with the colors, or pen. Others, like myself, who don't see any REAL negative effects. I only see pros. I, for example, would lose it if I had a scratch on the screen and had to look at it for 2-3 years with a scratch down the middle of the screen. On the body, or back I don't mind... but the screen is the most important part for me! So, I'd say go for it. They're cheap, and they work. :)

barry.pearson

Personally, I'm not a fan of screen protectors. While I don't think they interfere with colours too much, I find that when using the stylus they're certainly not ideal. At best I find they add too much resistance and potentially wear down your pen nib much faster than usual, at worse I end up with notes etched into the screen protector that can be seen under various lighting conditions.

I typically carry my Surface around with the type cover, inside a soft case, inside a padded compartment in my rucksack. So I find that I usually can get away without marking the screen. However my original Surface Pro did end up with some very minor scratches on the screen by the time I'd finished with it.

jtcb

I am also looking for some type of screen protector, either the plastic type or tempered glass. Any good ones currently available out there?

radji

Normally I use screen protectors. But since I will always carry my SP4 with it's Type Cover and in a padded ultrabook sleeve, I am not worried all that much about damaging the screen. I'm pretty obsessive about keeping the touchscreen in good condition as well (clean it once a week, don't pile stuff on top of the screen, etc.).

Plantje

There are a few types of people. Those who believe that you SHOULDN'T put on a screen protector because it'll interfere with the colors, or pen. Others, like myself, who don't see any REAL negative effects. I only see pros. I, for example, would lose it if I had a scratch on the screen and had to look at it for 2-3 years with a scratch down the middle of the screen. On the body, or back I don't mind... but the screen is the most important part for me! So, I'd say go for it. They're cheap, and they work. :)
Yes, I would really lose it too if I would notice a scratch in the middle of the screen. And I would definitely notice it time and again. On the other hand: they're not really cheap and I am unable to apply them without any dust beneath them. And then the dust is as bad as a scratch....

I also love to use screen protectors because I can't bear even a little scratch on my screen. Scratches on screen make very annoying.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t know just what the screen is made of, but I have had an original Surface, S2. S2Pro, SPro3, SB, and now both a SB2 and SB2 15 inch, and have never seen a scratch on the screens.

I protect the device with vinyl skins to avert scratches. I also protected the SP3 screen for about a month, but removed that glass because it took away from the feel of the screen.

Use of all my devices has been heavy, including much international travel. I have used pens enough to wear down the nibs, and touch with my finger often, including tablet mode about 20 percent of the time.

The screen quality and resilience has been a bright feature of Surface devices for me.

I clean my screens about once per month with an eyeglasses lens wipe, and occasionally with a very light application of ammonia glass cleaner.

My iPhones, however always are under glass. They all seem to scratch more easily than the Surface screens. A technician once told me that the phone screen does not “give” a bit when pressed, but in contrast, the Surface has a slightly more cushioned or elastic feel when pressed, distributing pressure differently. This is likely only part of the reasons Surface screens are so resilient.

gabe.t

I tried to apply one, and couldn't do it without trapping dust.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Plantje

Yesterday noticed a tiny scratch on the screen of my SP. Just a dot. But to be honest: you have to look hard, it doesn't affect usage and you cannot see it as soon as the screen is on.
If I look at my cell phone (Galaxy S8) it has quite some minor scratches, but same applies: cannot be seen when the screen is on.

And how do you use a device? Correct! With the screen on. To be honest nowadays I am just happy I don't have a screen protector collecting dust in front of the otherwise nice screens. It's like buying a brand new car with great seats and then do a cover over them. The next owner will have nice brand new seats and you never really got to enjoy them.