What's new

Screen protector with privacy feature

MSurfaceWA

Now that I can actually use this tablet for work, I am feeling more exposed when using it in public with corporate information. Has anyone tried a screen protector that contains a privacy "film" which darkens the screen for prying eyes when not looked at directly? I have not found many, and the one that I did find was $59, which seems like a lot. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MSurfaceWA

drowe

That price is the going rate for those kind of screen films. Looking at them for regular monitors a couple of years ago I was shocked at what they were charging. Best bet, sit with your back to the wall :)

OP
M

MSurfaceWA

Thanks drowe. My problem is that I fly quite frequently, so one of the places I feel most open is on an airplane. When you fly for business, people who fly at the same time tend to be in business too, so it makes working on sensitive stuff difficult. Might have to bite the bullett and spend the $$$.

drowe

Thanks drowe. My problem is that I fly quite frequently, so one of the places I feel most open is on an airplane. When you fly for business, people who fly at the same time tend to be in business too, so it makes working on sensitive stuff difficult. Might have to bite the bullett and spend the $$$.

One of the things that I try to impress on people that worry about security is "how likely are you to be "hacked, compromised, stolen"" etc. I understand about sensitive data coming from a medical background, but how likely is it that the person sitting next to you or behind you on a random flight is going to be a competitor that can use any information he might see on your screen in a quick look? I know the "security police" love to promote doom and gloom because that is what pays their bills, but a little situational awareness goes a lot farther than some technology fix. I respect that you may have special needs, but I've found that looking around and keeping physical possession of your computer is the most important part. Just my $0.02.

OP
M

MSurfaceWA

I agree 100% with you drowe, but for us its company policy. I am in a grey area as the Surface is not a company issued tab, but I could have some issues if I'm seen handling company data without it. Looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay the $59 to get it. I'll give a review once I do and let you all know if I don't hear of any other options.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yep, standard screens aren't very expensive but they've got you on the hook when it comes to privacy screens and the cost as you have noted is much higher. Other potentially cheaper solutions are to use wings of some sort. You could fashion something like this for example that while may be more of a pain to deploy is cheaper and you don't have to use it when not necessary.

I imagine two L pieces (possibly book ends?) with possibly hinges at the corners and then you slide one portion under the bottom of the surface and the wings act as blinders on the sides.
W11026.jpg
Probably only a few bucks Helix Home and Office - security products, office environment, office sundries, home and office lighting / Modern Book Ends.

or possibly a U (flip the one in the image upside down)
24421476-450x450-0-0_Kantek+Kantek+MV1921B+Monitor+Visor.jpg
This option is still $35 Kantek Visor (MV1921B) Security/Privacy for 19-21 in. - Monitor Accessories - Product Reviews and Prices - Shopping.com.

drowe

I agree 100% with you drowe, but for us its company policy. I am in a grey area as the Surface is not a company issued tab, but I could have some issues if I'm seen handling company data without it. Looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay the $59 to get it. I'll give a review once I do and let you all know if I don't hear of any other options.

As a previous corporate IT guy, I would make sure that grey area is a little blacker. I never allowed personal hardware to access company data. The grey area there is protecting data on a device we didn't control. If I was you, I'd take it to the geekiest IT guy, show him what you want to do and have them approve it and provide you with the screen film if they think it is needed. If they don't know about it, I would think it would open you up for problems if it got stolen or something. My previous job required people outside of the office to have their drives encrypted, good passwords, and anti-virus. Oh, and they belonged to the company. That made it easy for me to delete pirated or non-approved software. On a personal machine, it is more difficult to define the boundries. OK, enough preaching, I hope you get it set up to do what you need to! It is so much nicer to do it than lug a notebook around.

David

drowe

Yep, standard screens aren't very expensive but they've got you on the hook when it comes to privacy screens and the cost as you have noted is much higher. Other potentially cheaper solutions are to use wings of some sort. You could fashion something like this for example that while may be more of a pain to deploy is cheaper and you don't have to use it when not necessary.

I imagine two L pieces (possibly book ends?) with possibly hinges at the corners and then you slide one portion under the bottom of the surface and the wings act as blinders on the sides.
View attachment 180
Probably only a few bucks Helix Home and Office - security products, office environment, office sundries, home and office lighting / Modern Book Ends.

or possibly a U (flip the one in the image upside down)
View attachment 179
This option is still $35 Kantek Visor (MV1921B) Security/Privacy for 19-21 in. - Monitor Accessories - Product Reviews and Prices - Shopping.com.

That would certainly work.... Nobody would come around because somebody might think they were associated with him! :big smile:

I've used a monitor visor like that, although it was cardboard and home made, when I had horrible glare, but I did get laughed at!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Card board! Even cheaper and easier to make :) Heck you could even pull it out of the trash bins at the airports so you don't have to carry it around all the time ;)

Brilliant! :D

OP
M

MSurfaceWA

Thanks for the responses, not sure I can go with those cut outs though! When I do, I'll be sure to write a review.

stlbud

I was sitting in a random fast food restaurant a few years ago and the people in the next booth were talking about customer problems and difficulties with a product they were selling. Turns out they were competitors to my company and I overheard things they probably didn't want my company to know. Neither of us knew the other - we had never met. The restaurant was no where near either office. So, it does happen - but once in twenty years.