What's new

Screen Protector - Yes or No?

Derekamoss

I've never used a screen protector on any device and haven't had a problem. Until a month or so ago. My HTC 8X suddenly has a 3/8" scratch down the middle. Don't know how/where/why/when it happened but I have it. Arrghhh!!

I figured if it could happen to my 8x then why not my SP3? So I popped for the Zagg Glass Screen protector. I've seen one before on a HTC M8 and I liked it. It cost $50 at Best Buy (love them by way, other threads be damned). It cost another $7 for them to put it on. I love it! You can't tell that it's on. It feels like the regular SP3 glass screen. Probably because it's glass. The pen feels normal. I have no issues writing with it.

Zagg marketing claims that if you shatter the screen you will only shatter the glass screen protector layer. Supposedly, the layered glass screen protector will shatter and prevent the actual SP3 from shattering also. I don't care to test this. :)

I would recommend a glass screen protector to anyone who wants to feel more safe and still have the same feel/functionality of the original SP3 screen.
Although not a zagg the Microsoft one did prevent main screen from shattering and only shattered screen protector

PCAnyWhere

I went with full Matte Ghost Armor. two main reasons: 1) large clean glass lying in front of you that is likely to get something dropped or slip out of your fingers 2) the glare from the screen is murder in a lot of the different offices I visit an the matte helps a LOT but the sharpness of the screen is lost a little - a trade-off I need to accept while I'm on the move with my SP3

lhauser

Screen protector seems to be a personal preference. The Gorilla glass layer is the screen protector. I say No additional is needed. I don't have concrete dust and grit on my hands when using the device so I don't think there's going to be any damage. If I drop it on its face and or step on it a screen protector wont likely help.

I have a screen protector for my otherwise-protected phone (tempered glass, love it) but not for the SP3. It has the type cover, and I keep it in a Maroo slipcase when it's being transported. If I got one, it would be tempered glass...and I'll have it installed at the store I bought it from.

BOBEL

Go the way of Microsoft it COST but they will put it on for you if

You buy it from Microsoft and if any thing happens Microsoft
Back you up. If you really need screen protector let Microsoft
Do it.

Rahul

I had the ZAGG Tempered glass on the SP3, but took it off after about a week because I started having issues with the screen registering touch.

so, I ended up buying the MS Complete plan, which I was going to anyway, and now there's no screen protector on my device.

I do use the UAG case though.

Krooked

I don't know what that will do... maybe a fitted case would be better for drop protection. I saw someone post they ordered one of those glass protectors but it was broken when they got it so it had to be replaced. it has to add weight as well.

I have an iPad2 and an original Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 which are a couple three years old and I can't see any wear or anything on those screens and I don't even have a cover for the Samsung.

Exactly!

My phone, iPad 3, and SP1 have zero scratches.

The 3-year old Samsung phone hangs out in my pocket and school bag pouches with my keys, change, and other miscellaneous metal objects.
I use the (now ancient) iPad 3 in the garage and slide it all over the place (the back of it is a jungle of scratches)
and I lugged the SP1 to work, school, airports, vacations, etc. The SP1 has gouges on it's back and chips in its outer black coating, but....

not a single scratch on the glass surfaces and not a single protective screen on any of them.

Chuck_IV

I have a Zagg glass protector on mine and it works great. I have not had any issues with the thing registering touches.