What's new

Screen Protector?

Tmozer

The Costco bundle of two version of the Surface Pro 3 include a Tempered Glass Screen Protector. Is this really necessary? I thought (or believed) that the screen has gorilla glass.........

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. Regular glass. Get the protector. Tempered glass. You will forget it is there.

Telstar1948

I suppose the protector is a personal choice. Over the years I've had all sorts of PDA's, smartphones, iPads, tablets and now the SP3. I've not used a screen protector for any of them, and none received scratches. I'm fairly particular with my things so that probably has helped avoid scratches. Guess it's one of those things that's not bad to do, but I would tend to put it in the personal preference column.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above. No right or wrong, its whatever you opt for. I dont bother with screen protectors, never had a problem. Doesnt mean there isnt a use for them, sharpcolorado seems to be out and about in many thpes of non office environments, so in that instance, it makes sense. On the other side of the argument, mine lives in my bedroom, or my bag, always with the thpe cover over the screen when not in use, so i see absolutely no reason to spend money on one, and for a good, one, its not a small amount of money either.

Jeff Pheffer

I purchased Zagg's tempered glass protector and I absolutely love it. The other users was right. You will forget its there. No drag at all like a normal screen protector.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I currently use Zagg. Also tested Phantom Glass. Both work great. The subtle rounded edges on the Zagg are particulary comfortable to my fingers.

OP
Tmozer

Tmozer

Got the Zagg glass cover with my bundle. Any tricks or got-ya's to installing it? BestBuy wanted $15 to install it. I opted to do it myself........

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The stiff glass installs very differently (much more easily) than the ductile plastic covers. A thin layer of silicone helps adhere to your Surface, and also fills the gap. The protector is mostly self-sealing.

Here's how I have done it on my device the Surface PCs of several friends:

1. Move to a very brightly lit place, devoid of spouse or toddlers.
2. Start with a warm-ish Surface. Clean and dry your screen. View it at different angles. Make sure you see no oil sheen or evidence of streaks or sediment.
3. Clean your hands with soap to remove oils. Dry your hands.
4. Practice placement a couple of times without removing the clear packaging. Your best guide is the cutout "ears" on the upper left and right.
5. Proceed to install. You will see the silicone layer adhering to your Surface, and rapidly moving outward.
6. Pursue any bubbles or inadequacies after about 2 minutes.

OP
Tmozer

Tmozer

OK, thanks. About to go for it. I did watch a couple YouTube videos that more-or-less matched your instructions. I am hoping that since the SP3 is unopened that the screen will be pristine. I will check it anyway before proceeding.