What's new

Screen Protector

GoodBytes

Hello everyone,

I am seeking a new screen protector for my Surface Pro 2. The current one I have is the TechArmor High Definition Clear Screen Protector (http://www.amazon.ca/Tech-Armor-Microsoft-Definition-Replacement/dp/B009NXFLWW)
The problem I have with this one, beside being scratched, is that my finger doesn't slide smoothly on it. The resistance is too high. In addition, under certain light conditions I can see a blue tint from the screen protector showing, despite looking transparent out of the package.

Here is what I am looking for:
-> The pen doesn't leave marks on the screen (apparently a problem with self healing ones from what I read)
-> Finger slides smoothly
-> Doesn't affect the pen digitizer tracking and distance of the pen.
-> anti-glare would be better (the TechArmor non-glossy version, I saw it on someone else Surface Pro 2 at university, and it looks the worst anti-glare screen protector I ever saw), but not a requirement
-> preferably no tint, but not a requirement.

Any suggestions? Or they are all like this? (it is the first screen protector I ever get, so I know nothing about them)

Deckyon

I have always used and recommend the Zagg InvisibleShield HD's. I have them on all my devices and they are case-friendly and very durable. They also offer free replacement for the lifetime of the device. I have used that service a couple times and they are quick and no-questions-asked. They shipped my protectors at no cost. Before I even pulled my Surface out of the box I had one ready. It works well with the pen and touch, and you really do forget it is there. I am linking the one I got.

Microsoft Surface Pro Screen Protector | ZAGG

jamesk

The problem with the Zagg is that it's self healing and will show all pen marks. It takes forever for the pen marks to heal. If you use a type cover, the bumps on the "F" and "J" keys will also create lines in the protector too every time you close it.

I use the Tech Armor too and it's been the best one I've found so far for the surface pen.

jollywombat

I have used Zagg, both their regular protector and their "HD Premium" protector, BodyGuardz Full cover kit, and Tech Armor Matt protectors. The Zagg protectors while I feel are great at preventing damage and scratches are horrid for the pen input IMO, massive friction on the pen nub makes it half useless for notes and drawing since it will skip around, and looks horrible with the marks all over the screen from the pen that just do not fade entirely, so after a month the surface of the screen looks horrid and the ruts that remain in the protector then cause more issues with precision.

The Bodyguards protector was slightly better, but overall suffered from the same issues. I do love the protection for the back and sides of the surface however and still use that.

The TechArmor protector is a hard sheet so has had none of those issues, however there is a noticeable effect on the screen quality with the Matte screen protector, not a tint, but just seems to very slightly lower the sharpness of the screen. The pen glides over the screen very well, has a slightly higher friction than the bare glass which I like, and does not have that rubbery friction for the touch which I dislike with the Zagg protectors.

Really wish a company would make a tempered glass protector for the surface like exist for the IPAD and other newer phones, but no luck so far. Bodyguards states they have no plans to add the surface to that product line.

rushdown

I think I'll go with Tech Armor because it's cheaper than Zagg. I don't use the pen. I can handle slightly lower screen sharpness in exchange for a protected screen anyday. Thanks for the suggestion.

redbrick

Hello everyone,

I am seeking a new screen protector for my Surface Pro 2. The current one I have is the TechArmor High Definition Clear Screen Protector (http://www.amazon.ca/Tech-Armor-Microsoft-Definition-Replacement/dp/B009NXFLWW)
The problem I have with this one, beside being scratched, is that my finger doesn't slide smoothly on it. The resistance is too high. In addition, under certain light conditions I can see a blue tint from the screen protector showing, despite looking transparent out of the package.

Here is what I am looking for:
-> The pen doesn't leave marks on the screen (apparently a problem with self healing ones from what I read)
-> Finger slides smoothly
-> Doesn't affect the pen digitizer tracking and distance of the pen.
-> anti-glare would be better (the TechArmor non-glossy version, I saw it on someone else Surface Pro 2 at university, and it looks the worst anti-glare screen protector I ever saw), but not a requirement
-> preferably no tint, but not a requirement.

Any suggestions? Or they are all like this? (it is the first screen protector I ever get, so I know nothing about them)

...been using this protector as you recommended in the other forum, and I have not noticed any tinting. Maybe a bad batch? I do wish the camera and the light sensor area was better covered... not just a blanket open slot across. I also have not notice friction being an issue with both the pen and fingers....weird...maybe the product has improved since?

OP
G

GoodBytes

Yea, when I got it I used to like it, but after spending 3 month or so with it, it's OK, it does it's job fine, it adds reflection more than what it already the device has, but it works.
The service is great, and I have them send me a free replacement for the scratches (I mean why not, even if I plan to change it. At least I'll have something while I decided to try something else, in the case I don't like it and return to what I have)). It will take a quite a bit of time as they are using USPS, but hey it's free. Maybe the product has improved or bad batch. So I'll see with the replacement product.

The tint issue or well "issue" is only when you place the device in an angle with the sun, you see a blue tint. It's not the end of the world, hence why I said it wasn't a requirement for a new screen protector, but I just wanted to mention it. I would prefer ones that are not glossy. I see some sweet products for iPad and iPhone or Android phone on people devices, I just don't know their names to see if they have one for the Surface Pro line. I saw the Tech Armor one on a persons Surface Pro 2, and it was the worst of the worst, like if the anti-glare was too strong texture. Technically you want the same anti-glare screen you have on decent to high-end consumer grade monitors, where it is a special film that allows light to pass through fairly straight, allowing you to keep the screen sharpness and avoid washed out colors, but those are probably too pricey for screen protector makers, who is essentially a 10000% markup business (not actual fact, just pointed that the screen protector cost less than the card board it comes with <1$)

I agree that the cuts for the camera and sensor is lazy, with just a wide rectangle. It make the screen protector look nothing more than "generic screen protector for a bunch of tablets #102", than simply: "A screen protector for the Surface Pro 2", especially that the height of the screen protector doesn't reach all the way at the bottom.

redbrick

...It make the screen protector look nothing more than "generic screen protector for a bunch of tablets #102", than simply: "A screen protector for the Surface Pro 2", especially that the height of the screen protector doesn't reach all the way at the bottom.

Very funny... so true... yes, mine doesn't actually reach the edges as well, but that's okay since I won't really be scribbling or touching the edges anyways...

So we talking about screen protectors... guess if that's our worries, than that's a good sign...

Nackers

I just bought and fitted a Xtremeguard screen protector, fitted nicely, bubble free, but it is a very soft film, using the pen is now nearly impossible, like dragging a rubber across the screen, takes a lot of presser to get it to scroll, draw etc. I wouldn't recommend this screen protector to others, I be getting a different one asap..

sdreamer

Yea, when I got it I used to like it, but after spending 3 month or so with it, it's OK, it does it's job fine, it adds reflection more than what it already the device has, but it works.
The service is great, and I have them send me a free replacement for the scratches (I mean why not, even if I plan to change it. At least I'll have something while I decided to try something else, in the case I don't like it and return to what I have)). It will take a quite a bit of time as they are using USPS, but hey it's free. Maybe the product has improved or bad batch. So I'll see with the replacement product.

The tint issue or well "issue" is only when you place the device in an angle with the sun, you see a blue tint. It's not the end of the world, hence why I said it wasn't a requirement for a new screen protector, but I just wanted to mention it. I would prefer ones that are not glossy. I see some sweet products for iPad and iPhone or Android phone on people devices, I just don't know their names to see if they have one for the Surface Pro line. I saw the Tech Armor one on a persons Surface Pro 2, and it was the worst of the worst, like if the anti-glare was too strong texture. Technically you want the same anti-glare screen you have on decent to high-end consumer grade monitors, where it is a special film that allows light to pass through fairly straight, allowing you to keep the screen sharpness and avoid washed out colors, but those are probably too pricey for screen protector makers, who is essentially a 10000% markup business (not actual fact, just pointed that the screen protector cost less than the card board it comes with <1$)

I agree that the cuts for the camera and sensor is lazy, with just a wide rectangle. It make the screen protector look nothing more than "generic screen protector for a bunch of tablets #102", than simply: "A screen protector for the Surface Pro 2", especially that the height of the screen protector doesn't reach all the way at the bottom.
I'm actually using the TechArmor Matte protector and really like it. I have an SP1 though, doubt that changes what films they use. I find that it's really clear, about 96% light transmission most likely. I've seen worse matte protectors out there, and this is one of the better ones. Maybe the one you saw was a bad batch, but this one I am using doesn't have much fuzziness, everything looks pretty sharp still.