What's new

Screen Protector

OP
G

GoodBytes

I'm actually using the TechArmor Matte protector and really like it. I have an SP1 though, doubt that changes what films they use. I find that it's really clear, about 96% light transmission most likely. I've seen worse matte protectors out there, and this is one of the better ones. Maybe the one you saw was a bad batch, but this one I am using doesn't have much fuzziness, everything looks pretty sharp still.

Can you send me a picture of your Surface Pro?
Maybe you are right, maybe it was a bad batch.

OP
G

GoodBytes

You know what it looks pretty good on there pictures. I think I'll order it and see. So yea, it was a bad batch definitively.
Thanks big time!

Although, another thing that made is look not great, and now I understand why. It is because it doesn't go edge to edge and the camera hole is.. generic cut. So, it really shows like a screen protector is added, and not part of the device.
I think I can live with that.

Thanks again! :)

sdreamer

Hope you get a good batch. You're definitely right about not being 100% coverage, there is maybe 0.5mm clearance on all sides on mine, but from installing screen protectors that are 100% coverage, it can be really difficult to line up without having some of the protector off the edge, which then allows dust to accumulate there. I'd rather take a tiny bit of no coverage over a dirty edge full of dust. As for the cutout, I like this because I've seen some where it's it really cheaply cut out, it's rough, and just cutting out for the ambient light sensor makes it obvious already you have a screen protector on. This one is symmetrical making it look pretty nice imo. Also having matte increases friction with the stylus so its a bit of a better feel than just that writing on glass type of thing, i.e. closer to paper. Possible problems are just increase wear of the nib (hasn't happen to me yet on any of my TabletPCs, but I'm not that particular). I do notice there are scratches now on the TechArmor protector I have but I think it's barely noticeable. What's nice is I know I have a spare so when it gets really bad I don't need to buy another because the purchase comes with two. They're also fairly cheap compared to the ones you find in stores for like 20$, so it isn't a huge loss if you end up not liking it. I'm not sure what you do more with your Surface, but I think if you're using it more for work than play (such as watching movies) then the anti-glare will be good, but if you need it for watching media then glossy is good. Another reason I went with matte is because I find it has less friction than the glossy (probably due to surface tension) because I have sweaty hands in general so the tiniest bit of moisture on glossy screens really drags whereas on matte its a bit more forgiving; not to mention finger prints don't show as easily as well. YMMV

Last edited:

beebskadoo

Hello everyone,

I am seeking a new screen protector for my Surface Pro 2. The current one I have is the TechArmor High Definition Clear Screen Protector (http://www.amazon.ca/Tech-Armor-Microsoft-Definition-Replacement/dp/B009NXFLWW)
The problem I have with this one, beside being scratched, is that my finger doesn't slide smoothly on it. The resistance is too high. In addition, under certain light conditions I can see a blue tint from the screen protector showing, despite looking transparent out of the package.

Here is what I am looking for:
-> The pen doesn't leave marks on the screen (apparently a problem with self healing ones from what I read)
-> Finger slides smoothly
-> Doesn't affect the pen digitizer tracking and distance of the pen.
-> anti-glare would be better (the TechArmor non-glossy version, I saw it on someone else Surface Pro 2 at university, and it looks the worst anti-glare screen protector I ever saw), but not a requirement
-> preferably no tint, but not a requirement.

Any suggestions? Or they are all like this? (it is the first screen protector I ever get, so I know nothing about them)

I have a zagg screen shield for mine. I have the HD one that is completely clear, but they do have a variant that is tinted.

Works fine with the pen, with no major tracking issues, no marks on the screen unless you really dig in.

It does get a bit smudgy and requires a wipe every few days, but it includes a mocrofiber cloth in the box.

It is a 'wet applied' protector, meaning there is some finesse to putting it on, so it's best to take your time and watch some instructional videos online.

There is a difference in feel but only minor, not enough to bother me at least.

And best of all is they have a lifetime warranty, all you have to do is register it online with them and if anything happens to it, you just send for a new one free of charge!

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield...-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields

OP
G

GoodBytes

Interesting. My problem with Zagg is that it is freaking expensive. :/
At this price point I seek absolute perfection from the product. Including pin point perfect camera and ambient light sensor hole, not some larger than needed cuts.
And I can't find any pictures of the device with the Zagg screen protector.

Last edited:

Korlon

anyone tried the tempered glass screen protector? I've seen them out for cell phones, and am looking to see how people feel about them. Maybe they have the same for the surface?

beq

^ Couldn't find real glass for the Surface line, last I checked. Would love to be proven wrong.

Korlon

I'm still searching the web for something. Seen some for the iPhone and some for the Nokia 1520, seems to be a real hit and miss with the fitting, however I have yet to hear about it negatively affecting the capacitive screen responsiveness to the gestures or stylus... gotta keep searching I guess.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Usually touch screen is fine. The problem is the pen. I noticed with mine it reduces the digitizer tracking distance of the pen a bit, which, for my hand size, and how I hold the pen, make the palm rejection not as good, so sometimes when I write, I focus on some other window as my palm is registered first. If I hold the pen at side button level and not closer to the tip, then it is fine. So I am training myself to hold the pen in such a way.

All in all, its not the end of the world for my current screen protector, but it is annoying when I am not paying attention on how I hold the pen.

OP
G

GoodBytes

I am going to receive soon, a new screen protector from a new Canadian company, called Phantom Glass. It's an ultra thin glass (0.2mm, and not 0.7mm like others), which is a Gorilla Glass 3 panel. As it's same surface as the Surface Pro line of glass, the touch and pen experience should be identical to like if you are without it. In addition, as it's not plastic, it will not.. well should not, should I say, affect colors even at high angles.

When i receive it, I'll you guys know if it delivers on what it claims.
I am expecting that I'll have to recalibrate the pen, due to the thickness of the glass compared to the screen protector, but that's not too much of a problem, with the 80-point calibration.