What's new

Screen Quality Surface 2 vs Surface Pro 2

NGC

I just updated from a Surface 2. I realize the video is suppose to be 1920x1080 on Surface 2 and Pro 2. It is not. The Pro 2 is not as clear. Any suggestions including "You are wrong".

kevinlevrone

Very interesting observation. I am pretty sure that the resolution is the same, but the pixels may be smaller (and the gap between them larger) on one TFT panel compared to the other, due to many possible factors, like (maybe) the Pro 2 requiring a thinner panel and thus being limited by the available technology.

However, did you check that the factory ClearType and font/zoom settings in browser are identical between the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 ?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It has more to do with Intel's GMA Drivers then anything else, especially when the Pro 2 is on battery power. There is an updated video driver in the February Firmware Update pack or you can install the Intel Reference Driver (but it will impact battery life). The advantage of the Intel Reference Driver is you get access to the Intel Control Panel to make adjustments.

The Surface 2 is a better content consumption device then the Pro 2 hands down, better sound, better video handling and better Miracast Support.

olimjj

I just updated from a Surface 2. I realize the video is suppose to be 1920x1080 on Surface 2 and Pro 2. It is not. The Pro 2 is not as clear. Any suggestions including "You are wrong".

The simple answer is that NVidia GPU is superior to the Intel offering

OP
N

NGC

Thanks for all the answers. It is not that the Pro 2 video is bad, just not as crisp. I wish there was an answer why Microsoft stayed with a piece of junk for a camera in the SP2.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
They did answer that question, to keep the prices down on the SP2 they stuck with the same cameras from the SP1. The Surface 2 is their flagship tablet and it had the re-Engineering making thinner, lighter and faster then its Gen1 sibling.

kevinlevrone

They did answer that question, to keep the prices down on the SP2 they stuck with the same cameras from the SP1. The Surface 2 is their flagship tablet and it had the re-Engineering making thinner, lighter and faster then its Gen1 sibling.

The thread title mentions "screen quality". Are you really talking about the screen quality, or the video camera quality, or the video quality ?

kozak79

If you still have your Surface 2, maybe you can take a screen shot of both and upload it here. Hold Down the Windows Button on the surface bezel and press Volume Down. It saves screenshots in Pictures\Screenshots.