What's new

Screen randomly cracked overnight

Alex_Z

Never ending problems with this device but here goes - my SP3 was replaced after the last warranty claim and today in the morning I found the device where I left it yesterday but with a cracked screen. It worked perfectly yesterday evening, now the touchscreen won't work anymore so I'm 100% sure this happened overnight. The device never fell on the ground, was never hit, it's pretty much brand new. Since my last replacement I've hardly used it in fear of it breaking down again.

When I got the replacement, I noticed that the screen was not properly secured around the camera / top region and was sticking out. I could press it in by about 0.5mm. Now that the screen has cracked, it does not stick out anymore. However, I did not claim this because I'm fed up with constantly having to send this thing off on warranty.

Any idea where I might stand with claiming this on warranty? I'm probably going to hear it fell on the ground or I hit it or something.

Sorry for the bad pic but it's really difficult to take one where the crack is visible.

Attachments

• DSC09686.JPG
    DSC09686.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,139
OP
A

Alex_Z

Thanks for your reply. The tablet was not in a case the night it happened. It spends very little time in a case (Maroo or something like that).

The screen is uneven now - there's a clear difference in angle between the two pieces of the screen.

Johnny365

Well, maybe the replacement you got was refurbished by Microsoft (with a new screen) and it wasn't installed correctly and was uneven. Did you do the replacement through Microsoft? Was it the standard 1 year warranty or Microsoft Complete?

OP
A

Alex_Z

Well, maybe the replacement you got was refurbished by Microsoft (with a new screen) and it wasn't installed correctly and was uneven. Did you do the replacement through Microsoft? Was it the standard 1 year warranty or Microsoft Complete?

The device looked new but you never know I guess. It definitely had new hinges which develop play pretty quickly and lacked any signs of use.

The replacement was done by Microsoft under EU warranty but through a local dealer. The warranty on this device is 2 years,. Not sure what type of warranty it is then - probably the standard one as EU regulations impose a very high minimum which renews after every replacement.

Nicola

The device looked new but you never know I guess. It definitely had new hinges which develop play pretty quickly and lacked any signs of use.

The replacement was done by Microsoft under EU warranty but through a local dealer. The warranty on this device is 2 years,. Not sure what type of warranty it is then - probably the standard one as EU regulations impose a very high minimum which renews after every replacement.
As far as I know (but EU regulations intersects with National ones) your warranty on replaced pieces is only 6 months BUT if the original one was longer, the original will apply.
Example:
buy the original 1/1/2015, warranty expires 31/12/2016
replace on 1/1/2016, warranty expires still 31/12/2016
replace on 31/12/2016, warranty expires 30/6/2017

(this example is valid in Italy, though, don't know rest of EU)

note3

This picture looks for me, as if somebody had held the device with one hand and with the fingers near the little hole.
Are you sure nobody did this?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably like a windshield, you get a minor edge crack and then it spreads thru thermal contraction. My car got hit by a small stone on the edge of the windshield and by the end of the day the windshield was cracked half way across. probably an assembly issue since it wasn't seated correctly to start and likely had a hairline edge crack which grew from contraction when it cooled.

OP
A

Alex_Z

I've had a long word with Microsoft and they have agreed to take this in as I "might have a case here". I will keep you guys updated because this looks like an interesting case which could speak volumes about Microsoft customer service if indeed the device gets replaced.

Meanwhile, here are a few more detailed pics I took for the support staff. Note the pictures below which I think show incorrect assembly or some other fault - the rear part of the tablet is bulged in the middle and the kickstand doesn't fit quite right
. The top edge of the screen doesn't sit securely against the casing. These two "issues" were there when I unboxed the replacement.

DSC09701.JPG

DSC09707.JPG

Attachments

• DSC09699.JPG
    DSC09699.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 738
  • DSC09700.JPG
    DSC09700.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 722
  • DSC09703.JPG
    DSC09703.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 714
  • DSC09704.JPG
    DSC09704.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 731
  • DSC09705.JPG
    DSC09705.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 668
  • DSC09706.JPG
    DSC09706.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 709
OP
A

Alex_Z

Today I received my new Surface. All I can say is - Microsoft, I am completely sold. Thank you.

The assembly on this device is perfect so I hope this is the last time I'll have to service.

Attachments

• DSC00016 (Large).JPG
    DSC00016 (Large).JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 686