What's new

Screen stays black after update...

Eric G

This is true! I actually had a similar failure to load on a regular desktop where the start button and bottom tray didn't appear on a win 7 machine. One of the steps I used to identify the problem worked for me with that, and I was able to get that box back up in no time, so I guess I am a little better off. I am still a little Leary of the Surface, but with the forever battery life, the screen, it's pen, and the weight and speed, I just can't part with it. It is the perfect platform for my use case.

jimaiwr

mate, I just updated mine and after the surface logo appears the screen goes black and the network icon flashes... can't do anything. Anyone else have this problem?

freaking out :(

Last edited:

jimaiwr

same here but with my SP3. comeon' I paid almost 2000 dollars and this crap comes up. Not good enough microsoft. Now I have to reset my surface and reinstall all those programs and customise etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lobo

Just noticed this thread and remembered a similar case I encountered recently on a Win 8 PC.
The desktop would ONLY appear when booted into safe mode.

In that case, I deactivated the monitor driver, which got reinstalled automatically upon regular reboot und everything was fine again.

malberttoo

Just noticed this thread and remembered a similar case I encountered recently on a Win 8 PC.
The desktop would ONLY appear when booted into safe mode.

In that case, I deactivated the monitor driver, which got reinstalled automatically upon regular reboot und everything was fine again.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the tip!

@jimaiwr, if you haven't already reinstalled the OS...

Eric G

On the surface it's quite likely the win.exe was corrupted during a patch.

The good news is it's mostly painless to start over, as many of my settings and preferences were stored in the cloud. All I had to do was reinstall some of my applications, (I now keep the install files on my micro SD) and I was up and running in about an hour. That's including installing the full version of office, Visio,and Adobe elearning suite which is ginormous. Any other PC and I'm spending the day building a pc instead of working productively.

My Surface Pro 3 i7/512GB gives me a black screen after login. I tried to hold down shut down for 30 seconds. But when I came to work and connected my external screen it worked again. But last night it was black again after login. After connecting a projector it worked again. Seems to have to do with the screen. I have used it all day today with no problems.

OP
K

Kamran Samaie

I had to reinstall windows back then to get rid of the problem, customer service told me there is no other way. should work for you as well i guess

andreas90

Hey guys I had the same Problem... Logged in but afterwards only a blavkscreen and the screen keyboard... But the fix was easier than I thought: i still could open task manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del
And i just opened a New Task : explorer.exe
That's it ;)