What's new

Screen turns off, ignores power settings

johnnylawrwb

I've been combating a problem with this for a few weeks now, and am unable to fix it on my own, which annoys me.

I have my Surface Pro on all day at work, and use it as an additional computer. A lot of times I'll keep a log, for instance, in word on the SP so I don't have to switch on my main computer at work. The problem is, the SP will sporadically refuse to stay on for more than around 2 minutes. Randomly, and less than I'd be ok with, it will stay open, but 90% of the time it won't.

I've changed the power plan to high performance, changed the settings both when you click it and in advanced/more power options to never shut off while on external power, and it still ignores me.

Yesterday, turning off automatic brightness control fixed it, but it's flared up since then. I have no clue what to do but it's annoying and I need to stop it. Thanks!

Wayne Orwig

Somewhere in there is a magnetic switch to detect the closed keyboard. Any chance that there is a magnet nearby?
Doubtful, but just a though.

riggi

Yes. This happens randomly to me. A reboot seems to fix it. But that's annoying when you're in the middle of work with multiple windows open.

TagsxA

Yes. This happens randomly to me. A reboot seems to fix it. But that's annoying when you're in the middle of work with multiple windows open.

Yeah, a reboot doesn't help me at all. I'm actually contemplating refreshing my SP, in an attempt to fix this. It's fairly annoying...

johnnyk

You're a god...

Seriously, Thank you. I've been searching off and on for days to fix this problem.

I don't know how you figured it out, but thanks so much for taking the time to post the solution. Having my Surface Pro screen go blank has been the single biggest frustration I have had with this fine device...

john k