What's new

Screenshot not working?

tech5

Hey gang-

My employer just started issuing Surface 2 tablets to use at work. I was trying to take some screenshots to document a tech support issue, but I've had no luck. I'm pressing and holding the Windows icon and then tapping the down volume button. I've tried every variation on simultaneous, long, short, one before the other, etc. No Screenshots in Pictures->Screenshots or anywhere else.

Is this a feature they may have Admin locked to prevent its use?

Thanks!

kundas1

nope, but I'm pretty sure you're not doing it right or you can try using the SNIPPING TOOL...

oion

Hey gang-

My employer just started issuing Surface 2 tablets to use at work. I was trying to take some screenshots to document a tech support issue, but I've had no luck. I'm pressing and holding the Windows icon and then tapping the down volume button. I've tried every variation on simultaneous, long, short, one before the other, etc. No Screenshots in Pictures->Screenshots or anywhere else.

Is this a feature they may have Admin locked to prevent its use?

Thanks!

My preferred method for screenshots on the Surface is Fn-Win-Space bar. Try that. The screen should dim briefly when you press and hold all three, taking a screenshot.

OP
T

tech5

nope, but I'm pretty sure you're not doing it right or you can try using the SNIPPING TOOL...

Thanks! It is strange. I mean, it's press-and-hold Windows icon and tap volume down while still holding, right? I get Nada.

I tried Snipping tool, and it works fine in the Desktop environment, but quite unwieldy in the Tablet interface (assuming you're not using a Power Cover). Very frustrating.

OP
T

tech5

My preferred method for screenshots on the Surface is Fn-Win-Space bar. Try that. The screen should dim briefly when you press and hold all three, taking a screenshot.

Interesting- thank you! I assume you are doing that with a Power Cover or similar? My problem is that I need to take the Screenshots of an app running in the Tablet interface (not Desktop) and the app does not use a keyboard- virtual or real. All touch interface. The Windows-key and Volume-down trick is exactly what I need, but it just doesn't work.

kundas1

I don't think you can take a screen shot of the MUI mode (tablet interface) only in desktop mode... I think... not sure though

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows Button + Volume Rocker Down works universally MUI or Desktop....the screen should Dim then it will be stored in a Screenshots Folder in Pictures.

oion

Interesting- thank you! I assume you are doing that with a Power Cover or similar? My problem is that I need to take the Screenshots of an app running in the Tablet interface (not Desktop) and the app does not use a keyboard- virtual or real. All touch interface. The Windows-key and Volume-down trick is exactly what I need, but it just doesn't work.

Yes, I'm using an attached keyboard (Type, though any of the Surface keyboards would work).

I just took a screenshot of a couple apps in tablet mode using VolDn-Win haptic button, and it worked. One reason why I usually avoid this method and prefer the keyboard is that that button combination can be hit or miss for me (maybe I just suck). I don't know if an app can actually prevent this built-in capability, either. You might also check the official Microsoft community boards, link in my sig.

OP
T

tech5

Hey gang-

Well, mystery solved!

You see, I attached my Power Cover just now to my Surface for only the second time ever- just to check its charge level. While I was tinkering, I again tried the Screenshot shortcut- holding the Windows icon and Volume down simultaneously. And OMG it worked! No, I wasn't typing anything on the Power Cover keyboard- it was merely connected.

Then it worked again. And again!

I then detached the Power Cover. And screenshots again stopped working. Reattached Power Cover...and they work again. Definitely not an ideal solution since I never use the Power Cover or any other external keyboard- there isn't room in my workspace. But at least I know what I need to do now if I need a Screenshot!

Thanks gang!

oion

Hey gang-
I then detached the Power Cover. And screenshots again stopped working. Reattached Power Cover...and they work again. Definitely not an ideal solution since I never use the Power Cover or any other external keyboard- there isn't room in my workspace. But at least I know what I need to do now if I need a Screenshot!

Thanks gang!

Ohhhhh. Hm, I forgot to note that when I experimented before.
However, I just removed my Type2 cover and tried again in an app, and did get a screenshot with VolDn-Win(haptic).

So I wonder what's going on there.

Just how tight is your workspace? You can find cheap Touch covers, and first gen is compatible with Surface 2. That's the thinnest keyboard-cover for Surface and easily folds back/flips around without being as bulky as the Power cover.

OP
T

tech5

Ohhhhh. Hm, I forgot to note that when I experimented before.
However, I just removed my Type2 cover and tried again in an app, and did get a screenshot with VolDn-Win(haptic).

So I wonder what's going on there.

Probably nothing that a full reinstall of Windows wouldn't fix, but if that's the only thing wrong with my Surface, I can live with it. :D

Just how tight is your workspace?

Airplane cockpit. You see, it's the keyboard, or my lunch. Lunch wins! Especially since I don't have any use or need of a keyboard for what I am doing.

Thanks again gang!