What's new

Screw you Microsoft

Pepper

You don't even have to set one up, you can install and logon local or domain just like before. They just hid it a little more.

During initial setup, just choose the 'create a new MS account option. Then click the tiny 'continue with local account' link at the bottom.

Um dude you bought a Microsoft tablet and now you are pissed it works like a Microsoft tablet? The fan running occasionally bothers you? This is a full i5 CPU in an itty bitty little tablet, it's gonna get hot. 8.1 makes things better and you think it makes them worse?

Lol, I'm harder on MS than anyone and I like 8.1. Not perfect but better than 8.
I think that only a hardcore Microsoft fanatic (or Apple fanatic if Apple produced a tablet with a fan) would tolerate a fan on their tablet.

It is possible that the increased fan usage under 8.1 might have something to do with the additional processing of Windows re-indexing the system and re-preparing system files. Things will probably return to normal within a day or so.

GypsyMoth

Well, after I contributed to this thread I upgraded to 8.1, I didn't see any way to complete the install without using my online credentials (I see further in the thread it's possible). Took me an hour to figure out how to convert the online credentials to local... Not quite as upset as the OP, but more than I was before... I'll probably forget being upset in a couple of days- overall (and other than the online account conversion) the upgrade did go pretty smoothly.

Cheers

CrippsCorner

I think that only a hardcore Microsoft fanatic (or Apple fanatic if Apple produced a tablet with a fan) would tolerate a fan on their tablet.

It is possible that the increased fan usage under 8.1 might have something to do with the additional processing of Windows re-indexing the system and re-preparing system files. Things will probably return to normal within a day or so.

Well remember, it's not just a 'tablet' but a full PC. How many other full PC's don't have fans?

Saying that, I've seen an increase in fan usage since updating to 8.1 which is kinda annoying.

mitchellvii

They could do away with the fan if you don't mind having a 120C toaster oven on your lap. While you are at it, rip the fan off your CPU in your desktop and see how well that goes. In PC's speed = heat. You want passive cooling, go Bay Trail but don't expect i5 speed.

Don't know if indexing is the problem but if it is that should slow down once everything has been indexed the first time. Of course you can always turn indexing off.

Last edited:

pallentx

This is not just a tablet. If you want a "normal" tablet, you get the fanless RT version. If you want a tablet that can also be a full powered desktop unlike any other device on the market today, you get a Surface Pro and live with 1 very small, very quiet fan.

D

Deleted member 10837

This is not just a tablet. If you want a "normal" tablet, you get the fanless RT version. If you want a tablet that can also be a full powered desktop unlike any other device on the market today, you get a Surface Pro and live with 1 very small, very quiet fan.

11w8rgx.jpg

What is considered a "full powered desktop" would be subjective.

oion

You don't even have to set one up, you can install and logon local or domain just like before. They just hid it a little more.

During initial setup, just choose the 'create a new MS account option. Then click the tiny 'continue with local account' link at the bottom.

Good to know.

Given that the OP had hissy fits in two different threads now without first asking about solutions (or figuring out it's just a new way of doing something) and never bothered to come back to address my other response, hopefully he sold all his Windows 8.x machines and went to Apple or something. I really have no sympathy for this kind of whining. I mean, "stupidity in the UI" isn't even a legitimate complaint when it says nothing ("I hate squares").

I'd rather stay with a local account myself, but I'm considering enabling the RT device encryption, which seems to require an MS account. I'll think about it.

OP
A

Afy

I do work for a living. And do have both the RT and Pro. Infact its been a joke at work that I get paid by MS. You can switch to the local account, but not receive any app updates. WTF? That was not the case with 8. How is 8.1 any better than 8?

What exactly does it do better? So far nothing but aggravation.

I have never owned a crApple product and never will.

As for the fan I see no reason for it to kick off.. with 8.1 when it never did with 8. Running word or VS is not load..

Guess will just try and move the surface to Server 2012 and see if that runs more predictably.

pallentx

Sure, it could be subjective, but the processor in the Surface Pro 1 is more powerful than the both of my desktops at home. If you compare the fastest non-Windows tablet available, it will be a fraction of the power the Surface Pro has and will be running an mobile OS that is far less capable than full Windows. So yes, you get a fan, but you also get a full powered computer as a trade-off. No other non-windows tablet can do that. So, the fact that the "competition" doesn't have fans is irrelevant because there is no competition right now.