What's new

HowTo SD-Card: Add Content to Library; use as primary destination ...

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Hi folks,
since most of us love the option to expand the free space with a micro-sd(hc/xc)-card, here's a little how to get the most out of it:

I. Add the content of a removable drive into a library, so you'll be able to play music from music-app.
(Since my order was canceled, it's more based on hearing about, but this works also with Win 7 - give me a short notice, if there is any mistake or if you made screenshots for this)

1. Start the file explorer in desktop mode
  2. Create a folder on the root of c:
  3. Create the folders "Video", "Documents", "Pictures" and "Music" on your microSD-card.
  4. Search for "cmd" and start the command prompt as an admin by right-click/hold tap an selecting "run as admin" on the bottom bar
  5. Run this lines (separate)
    Code:
    mklink /j c:\*yourfolder*\d d:\documents
    mklink /j c:\*yourfolder*\m d:\music
    mklink /j c:\*yourfolder*\p d:\pictures
    mklink /j c:\*yourfolder*\v d:\videos
  6. Now check, if the new folder are appearing in C:\*yourfolder*
  7. Open control panel and search for indexing options -> chose "modify" and add C:\*yourfolder*
  8. Right cklick/hold tap on every library and select "Properties" -> add the specific sd-folder from C:\*yourfolder* to your library -> click "set save directory"
  9. Check your apps, if that worked.

Attention:
Create a folder for each removable source. Source has to be present, if you want to see the files. Index remains to the next time, if you remove the source.

Credits going to Toni from Team Radicus - there you'll find this method with some helpful screenshots.

II. Use your SD-Card as the primary destination for downloads:
(Like the solution mentioned before, this trick is derived from windows 7)

1. Open C:\Users\YourName
  2. Right Click the following folder -> select Properties
  3. Click Location
  4. Change C:\Users\Yourname\*pickedfolder* to D:\Users\YourName\*pickedfolder*
  5. Click "Apply" -> "Ok".
  6. Answer YES to all to every prompt following
  7. Repeat steps for each folder

Credits going to TMavC5 on wp-central-forum

Additional ideas, comments or screens/videos? Please leave me a message :)

Last edited:

billfraley

I just found this forum and signed up. Glad to see this info being put to use. I was very upset when I discovered I couldn't access my SD card content from the Music and Video apps. I knew of this feature from both Windows 7 and Server 2008. I was relieved to find out it also works on Windows 8 and RT.

To be honest, I was ready to box my Surface back up and return it before seeing the lifehacker article. Then I was like DUH, I have already done this before! I am now very happy to say the Surface is a keeper for me.

I am also glad to have found this forum.

billfraley

It appears there are indexing issues even after this hack. It causes the library to not stay updated. You can still use this hack, with a slight caveat. You have to do a manual rebuild every time you add media. You do this in desktop mode. First open control panel, then indexing options, advanced, and finally select rebuild.

kane4fire

It appears there are indexing issues even after this hack. It causes the library to not stay updated. You can still use this hack, with a slight caveat. You have to do a manual rebuild every time you add media. You do this in desktop mode. First open control panel, then indexing options, advanced, and finally select rebuild.

The above method didn't update for me either. Try the method in the link below, works much better IMO and is much easier. The libraries updated perfectly for me:
How To: MicroSD to Windows RT Music, Picture, Video Library | Rashed Talukders Little Place on the Net

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

bulls96

thanks to this forum I was able to use my 64 microsd for my media!
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

machistmo

Another Surface SD card workaround

I had a good experience using the guide below. I think they are all basically getting you to the same end.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/surface-tip-microsd-content-libraries-metro-apps-144658

This site worked for me. I am also pretty sure that I read somewhere the Surface Team Lead had commented on this issue and that a fix was on the way. :cool2:

Type and posted via Surface RT

- I am becoming a Surface Junkie. No Arrow to the knee can stop a Surface user!

bulls96

My videos have not been updating. Do I need to re index?
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express