What's new

SD Card Battery Drain in Connected Standby

higginz

hopefully someone can help me out here. I have SP4 and in Connected Standby I always see that the SD card is still active. I turned off indexing on the D:, made sure defrag is not set to run on it, but it refuses to go to sleep. I also checked and made sure all usb ports are set to allow the computer to turn off the ports as well. I even went as far to reformat the drive and it still will active during CS.

Any other suggestions of things to check?

OP
H

higginz

Originally I was storing apps and music on it but thinking that that might have caused the problem I was having, I removed that and now it's just storage for my mp3 collection and a couple games but I don't think I have anything running in the background pointing to the mp3s and games aren't running either.

I guess it is possible the card is defective but it is a sandisk 128gb card that I bought from Best Buy rather than a noname brand from an ebay seller. :)

Thanks for your help, I'm running the test now. I did notice in process explorer that explorer.exe was using multiple folders on the SD Card but I don't know why explorer would be going through the folders if indexing is turned off. I'm open to any suggestions. :)

OP
H

higginz

Test ran with no errors and rates seemed correct.

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 18.4 MByte/s
Reading speed: 48.3 MByte/s

Philtastic

Yeah, not a good idea to install programs to external devices since they might need to be kept constantly active if the program is running.

OP
H

higginz

Hi guys,

Just an update, I seemed to have solved the issue by running

powercfg /restoredefaultschemes

Now it seems to go to standby properly most of the time but sometimes I'll think it's in standby and then I'll hear the fan running, I'll wake it up and it's hot and sleepstudy says CPU C0 Time 91% and CPU C0 Time.Non-attributed Time 88%.

I've done some searching and have not found too much info other than it may be caused by Windows Hello, but I thought that was solved with some of the recent updates, any thoughts?

leeshor

It doesn't appear to me, despite other comments to the contrary, the Hello has any affect on anything except when it's needed at start up or login. When simply using my SP4 it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

You do bring up a good point. Some people have made so many changes to their power plans they could easily forget what it was in the first place. the restoredefaults command should come in handy.