What's new

SD card not working properly

thinkpic

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I bought a surface RT just before Xmas. There are quite a few bugs but I am living with them because of the great video format. To hold my movies I bought a kingston 32 GB mini SD card but even though the files play from the desktop and seemed to transfer fine to the SD card, they will not play from the SD card but instead I got an error message saying "Can't play because the item's file format isn't supported". Other formats like pdf could be read off the SD card. I tried to reformat the card but now under capacity I only get 8mb. IS the card no good? Is there something I can do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Omni

I'd recommend formatting the card as NTFS nothing else. Format it on another pc if the surface isn't giving you the correct capacity. I had a Samsung 8GB sd card that didn't work well with my surface. Got a SanDisk 64GB one now and it works perfect.

HD_Dude

Two issues. One is the card, which Omni nailed. The other is the video. Do you know what format your video is in?

I use H.264 .mp4 on my SP and it works fine.

Here's a link that should list the formats for the RT:

Tegra 3 Processors | Quad Core Smartphones and Tablets | NVIDIA UK

If you have a big stash of videos in a format the RT can't decode, you can convert them. Quality stays the same, since it's a digital transfer. But to do it requires software and a lot of RAM. However, there are also some video apps which may decode a wider array of formats.

I do this stuff all the time, so let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited: