What's new

SD card only goes in half way

AndyWear

So.....I discovered something new in a bad way.

SD cards only go in half way. :(
Each time you work, you have to replace that SD card.
My idea of waiting for the 2TB SD cards for storage extension in the surface book is a failed idea.

I only have a 512gig ssd so this thing is going to fill up a lot if I put it all on the main drive.
Now I'm going to constantly attach a hard drive to it when I do my work.
Do you guys have another solution to this? This is very strange to me and of an issue.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, a lot of the reviews pointed out that you wouldn't be able to use it as cheap storage expansion (wouldn't surprise me if this was done intentionally having seen how many folk were skimping on the surface pro's and just increasing storage permanently via micro sd instead of spending an extra £300 with MS)

Talldog

I've read about a couple of micro SD adapters out there that fit either completely or almost completely into the slot, with the SD card sitting sideways. Worth looking into.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Surface Book i7 16 512GB, and added additional 512GB with a SD card.

I have no problems with the card attached all the time. I travel often, including internationally. The recedes far enough to be firmly held with no wobble and no problems. The card does not interfere with the pen, either.

This has become my 1TB Surface Book.

512GB SanDisk in 512GB Surface Book
pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

512GB SanDisk in 512GB Surface Book
pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
My husband has the same problem with his Macbook pro retina, he bought the 128 GB version thinking he could use a large SD card for extra storage. He was most disappointed to find that the SD card didn't go all the way in and he didnt' want to risk having it hanging out the side. He now uses a micro SD card adaptor that fits wholly in the slot much better than having a card sticking out.

Something like this I think:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosvision-Micro-Adapter-MacBook-Air/dp/B00GA2PHIW

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Surface Book i7 16 512GB, and added additional 512GB with a SD card.

I have no problems with the card attached all the time. I travel often, including internationally. The recedes far enough to be firmly held with no wobble and no problems. The card does not interfere with the pen, either.

Looks good, but i am not in a financial position to take the risk of something like that snapping off due to one reason or another.

JBCF

Someone in another thread recommended a Transcend Jet Drive Lite (you can search on Transcend to find the original thread). I picked one up and it's worked fine with a low profile, I leave it in place and haven't had any issues. Here's a quick snap...

20151118_130241.jpg

ikjadoon

Yup, a lot of the reviews pointed out that you wouldn't be able to use it as cheap storage expansion (wouldn't surprise me if this was done intentionally having seen how many folk were skimping on the surface pro's and just increasing storage permanently via micro sd instead of spending an extra £300 with MS)

It's also a "size" issue. To cram more battery in, I think. But, I can see both being a motivation, haha.