What's new

SD card only goes in half way

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I store a copy of my entire .MP3 and media library (200 GB) and I allow Windows 10 to backup to the device also.

Wayne Orwig

Out of curiosity what types of things do you guys store in the SD cards? My 256GB SSD drive is around 70% full but I don't like storing things on an SD card because the read and write speeds are slow.
My Surface Book at 256GB is fine for me, for now.
My Surface Pro is a 128GB. I have a 128GB card that stays in it, that I keep my media on. Pictures, movies, music. Basically, things that are generally read only. As you note, the write speeds aren't that great, and they don't need to be read fast.
You do want to keep as much free space on the SSD as you can. If you run it low on free space, it will read and write and rewrite the same blocks constantly for temporary files, and that shortens their life.

G-man

Out of curiosity what types of things do you guys store in the SD cards? My 256GB SSD drive is around 70% full but I don't like storing things on an SD card because the read and write speeds are slow.

I always have a full backup...just in case the system craps out on me while away, I just do a restore.

BearFlag

Yeah it seems like a lot of you are backing up stuff on it. I back up my stuff on an external ssd drive with USB 3.0 connection that I find is a lot faster than an SD card. I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

Chrille

Which Jetdrive? I was also under the impression, I could buy a SD card and extend my memory until I read this thread...
The Transcend Jetdrive looks like the only viable option, but there are different versions - 350/360. Does anyone have a recommendation? I want a 256 GB...

JBCF

Hi Chrille,
I've had the 256gb Transcend Lite 130 in my Surface book since the end of November. Works great (I use it for Windows File History), no issues and I don't even notice it's there when I carry the Book around.

G-man

Hi Chrille,
I've had the 256gb Transcend Lite 130 in my Surface book since the end of November. Works great (I use it for Windows File History), no issues and I don't even notice it's there when I carry the Book around.

Could we get a photo of it inserted in the slot?

JBCF

Posted one earlier in this thread, if you'd like more let me know and I'll pop some more up once the sun comes up here in Toronto :)

Mikey94025

Thanks for the JetDrive recommendation -- I got tired of my SD card sticking out and ordered it today from Amazon (Amazon Prime same day delivery!). Here are some pics to show how it looks vs. a regular SD card.
IMG_1266.JPG
IMG_1265.JPG
IMG_1264.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG