What's new

SD Recognition After Restart

borka105

So I have my SD card in the Surface and go to restart the Surface. I noticed that when I restart my surface, the SD card no longer appears under "Computer". I have to take it out and put it back in and only then will the Surface see the SD card.

Is this the same for you, or does your Surface still see your SD card even after a restart?

I am beginning to think I have a fault SD card drive because it also sometimes takes 5-6 attempts for the Surface to see the SD card when I have to re-insert it. It will make a sound, and I get a notification, but upon the click, it then looses the connection and I need to retry..

ArnoldC

I can't relate to getting a "sound" as it is not mechanical unlike a hard disk. I never heard a sound on any SD card. My Surface RT always see the micro SD, even after restart, shutdown.

OP
B

borka105

I can't relate to getting a "sound" as it is not mechanical unlike a hard disk. I never heard a sound on any SD card. My Surface RT always see the micro SD, even after restart, shutdown.

I am referring to the sound the Surface makes when you insert the SD card- the little jingle and notification popup that tells you its been recognized. In my case, I need to push the SD card in past the initial click and then there is a 50-50 chance on whether the Surface will recognize it after I let go.

I've restarted the surface 4 times this morning and each time when it restarted it did not see the SD card. I hard to remove it and then re-insert it.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Some people are having issues with the SD cards not being up to spec (too thin) and not connecting properly. It may be a cheap or counterfeit card. If that is not the case you may want to consider a return.

OP
B

borka105

I dn't think it is a cheap counterfiet. I bought it at best buy.

The issue I am having is even after the card is recognized and working fine, it disappears after I restart Windows.

Could this be the problem: the fact that I had the SD card mapped to both "D:" and "C:/users.." should it just be mapped to one drive or the other?

ArnoldC

@borka105, if you did a mounted volume and configured it like my setup, i.e., remove drive letter assignment, the you won't see a drive letter assigned to it, but the contents will be accessible from the mount point.

Yes?

OP
B

borka105

@borka105, if you did a mounted volume and configured it like my setup, i.e., remove drive letter assignment, the you won't see a drive letter assigned to it, but the contents will be accessible from the mount point.

Yes?

Hi Arnold-

I did add the c:\\ location under users, but I did not remove the other D: drive.. So both are assigned to the card. Does this cause an issue?

If I remove the D:, can I ever add it back?

ArnoldC

You can verify it from Disk Management.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

ARAMIREZ

Hi.

I'm having this problem too. For some reasons when my SP is restarted the SD is not recognized. When I plug it in my laptop it isn't recognized either. My SD is a Kingston 64 GB class 10 micro SD. I also have a pointed path in the C drive for the card (D drive) and I don't think that is the culprit. This card is my third replacement for the same issue. At this moment I really don't know if the problem is caused by the Surface or the card, I just know that I have to return my third SD card and maybe i will return my SP too. I have tried every diagnostic tool and it just stopped working. It doesn't appear in the Computer Management>Disk Management, sometimes takes hours before appearing on My Computer and when I run the chkdsk utility i get different errors messages like "CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives", or corrupted files attributes or Access Denied when the utility is running as an administrator or it simple don't run at all. Any idea?

Last edited: