What's new

SD Recognition After Restart

J515OP

Super Moderator
Have you tried reformatting the card? What format are you using currently? What are you doing with the card (this might possibly be corrupting it)? It sounds like a bad card. Are you getting this from a reputable store or off ebay? Not sure why you'd return the Surface Pro over this since you said your laptop doesn't recognize the card either.

ARAMIREZ

Have you tried reformatting the card? What format are you using currently? What are you doing with the card (this might possibly be corrupting it)? It sounds like a bad card. Are you getting this from a reputable store or off ebay? Not sure why you'd return the Surface Pro over this since you said your laptop doesn't recognize the card either.

I formatted the card using NTFS. I mean all the 3 cards used. The only thing that I did was assigned a mount point folder path to the internal drive using the Disk Management. I only have 30 days with the Surface and 3 damaged cards with the same issue. The cards cannot be formatted using any PC or laptop. I downloaded several utilities to format the cards but all the PCs get unresponsive for a while getting an error later. I also tried exFAT but i cant even access the cards. I think the problem is the Surface's controller. This is not normal. I going to the MS Store to return it for a new one.

OP
B

borka105

I know we like to think that the Surface could not be the issue, but in my case it was.

I went to the MS Store and checked my micro sd card with 2 other Surfaces who had no issue recognizing the sd card after restart. The MS store promptly replaced my Surface on the spot and I have no issues with the MicroSD card now. So while I understand that "cheap" micro sd card's could be the issue, in my case, it was the Surface that had the problem.

BUT, to J5150P's point, the MicroSD card was always recognized by my home laptop after restart. The issue was only with my Suface. The fact that yours does not work on other computers gives me pause that you have a different problem with the actual SD card.

ARAMIREZ

I left my Surface in MS Store yesterday. They are performing a diagnostic and its going to take 24-48 hours to determine the problem.

john.calixte

I had similar problems with the SD card on my Surface RT.

Microsoft is well aware that many Surface RTs have a hardware problem with the SD connection. The MS support rep I talked to acknowledged this and they promptly sent me a replacement unit. My replacement Surface RT has had absolutely no problems with the SD card.