What's new

Search and Indexing not working how do I re-install 8.1 download?

Arizona Willie

My Windows 8.1 came in a download from the Store ( I presume ) and since then a program called Registry Mechanic went rogue and messed up Search and Indexing. I tried to restore from Restore Points but it did not help.

I've been on Microsoft Forums and other people have had the same problem. Some said the Restore point fixed it but mine didn't.

I've tried Microsoft Support where you get a phone call and when they connected all I got was static and some broken music playing dimly in the background but the call did not work. Phone lines to India must be screwed up.

Why oh Why can't Microsoft pay for Americans to work Tech Support?

So now I'm thinking perhaps I should re-install 8.1 but how do I do that?
I went into where it shows your past downloads but it isn't showing that far back. Only shows some updates to 8.1.

Since it came as a download I would presume it is still residing somewhere on my computer and could theoretically be re-installed but you play hell trying to get any support out of Microsoft even if you are willing to PAY for it.

beman39

Is this for a desktop? If so then just an FYI you posted in the wrong place. .. if it IS for your surface then there is a place where your "windows old" resides on you c drive, but how to restore from there I have no idea, maybe someone with more knowledgeable can help with that. Or try with google?

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Yes, as it happens, this is my desktop that has the problem.

People here are knowledgable about more than the Surface and since asking on Microsoft Windows Forums only finds more people with the same problem and no answers === I ask here.

Is this for a desktop? If so then just an FYI you posted in the wrong place. .. if it IS for your surface then there is a place where your "windows old" resides on you c drive, but how to restore from there I have no idea, maybe someone with more knowledgeable can help with that. Or try with google?

oion

I don't know about the search/indexing issue. As far as I know, there's no way to reinstall 8.1 without doing a rollback, and you can't rollback from 8.1 down to 8. You'd have to reformat and reinstall 8. Otherwise, check with the official MS answers board, link in sig.