What's new

Search not finding items it should find

Under 10, if I do a search on "update", or "windows update", it is not found. I can then click on My Stuff in the search window and it will eventually be found and listed under Settings. In windows 8.1, "Update" matched Windows Update immediately and was shown at the top of the list.

Also at the top of the search dialog I see "Were getting search ready".. but that's been displaying for 3 days now. Hard to imagine indexing taking 3 days!

I suspect the indexing/search set up process is not completing correctly.

Anyone with this same problem and/or solutions for rebotting the search (or more likely, the indexing) function?

Michael

Kris

a few versions back I had those kinds of issues but now its working pretty well, I type in update and top choice is windows update settings.

smar

Under 10, if I do a search on "update", or "windows update", it is not found. I can then click on My Stuff in the search window and it will eventually be found and listed under Settings. In windows 8.1, "Update" matched Windows Update immediately and was shown at the top of the list.

Also at the top of the search dialog I see "Were getting search ready".. but that's been displaying for 3 days now. Hard to imagine indexing taking 3 days!

I suspect the indexing/search set up process is not completing correctly.

Anyone with this same problem and/or solutions for rebotting the search (or more likely, the indexing) function?

Michael

I came across this in one of the preview builds, and managed to resolve it by manually updating the indexing locations (for some reason, the start menu folders were not being indexed following an upgrade on that build).

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've posted a thread on this elsewhere. I'm very unimpressed with search (have turned every part of Cortana off that I can so she can't try and get involved).

right now if I type update, I get this... bloomin fantastic, so helpful...

Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (7).png

And then sometimes it works just perfectly.