What's new

Second Display - Cursor not moving across displays :(

So after the Surface Pro 3 running SO well for about a month... I know seem to have all sorts of issues :(The worst being when I have a second display connected via mini display port to mini display port (no dock) the display works however I can't move the cursor over to the second display... If I open an application it opens on the second display but I can't get the cursor over there from the SP3 display.Any suggestions on how to fix this? I am sick of rebooting the SP3 to fix it for a short while :(

Nuspieds

So after the Surface Pro 3 running SO well for about a month... I know seem to have all sorts of issues :(The worst being when I have a second display connected via mini display port to mini display port (no dock) the display works however I can't move the cursor over to the second display... If I open an application it opens on the second display but I can't get the cursor over there from the SP3 display.Any suggestions on how to fix this? I am sick of rebooting the SP3 to fix it for a short while :(
When it happens, have you checked your Display Appearance setup (right-click on Desktop and then select Screen Resolution) to see if the configuration is as you have it?

So if booting fixes the issue, have you noticed a specific time interval at which the issue will re-occur? If so, perhaps some sort of process could be messing things up.

OP
T

thefollans

It tends to just happen at random times.... I thought maybe it was the cable but I don't think so?It has lasted the day today so let's hope it was just a "thing" that happened for two days?

Bandito

It may just be that the SP3 thinks that the second monitor is on the opposite side of where it is physically located. If it happens again, drag the cursor off the opposite side of the screen and see if it appears on the second monitor.

If that is the case, to fix it, you need to go into the display settings in control panel and drag the second monitor on the screen into the correct position for your setup.

Nuspieds

It tends to just happen at random times.... I thought maybe it was the cable but I don't think so?It has lasted the day today so let's hope it was just a "thing" that happened for two days?
Well, now I'm definitely skeptical so, yes, it could be your cable or some running process.

The fact that your setup does work per your physical setup indicates that your Display Appearance setup is obviously correct but that at one point Windows somewhat no longer recognizes that second display and you are not able to mouse on to it. To confirm this, if/when it happens again, do check the Display Appearance setup and if it is still correct in Windows, then you might want to test changing that cable or investigating what processes you have running that you think could be the culprit.

OP
T

thefollans

thanks Nuspieds. I ended up deleting the display drivers and reinstalling them and it has worked since with no issues!