What's new

Security - what are you using?

jeffskent

On my Pro 1, which I have had since the day it was released (Feb 2013) I depend on the built in Microsoft Security Essentials and the Defender. This is my main computer which I use for several hours every day all over the internet. I have never had a virus, (knock wood to appease the spirits of the forest) so far. Malware, which changes my home page or my search engine, is easily removed when it rears its ugly head. I have two more laptops that I use on occasion, and my several friend's computers. None of these devices have ever had a serious malware infestation if they were running Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows 8, which has it built in to the os.

ultra99

But then MS says that they provide 'basic' protection. It's debatable, of course, really depends on how much protection one needs.

pierre118

Microsoft Essentials is basic, and not enough for good protection. I use Bitdefender 2014 on my home PC and on my SP1 pro. It is fast and lot of protection options.
For about $15,- you can buy a 1 year licence.

ultra99

seriously, though, why are they charging yearly subscription? what happened to one time payment and peach of mind?

D

Deleted member 10837

Using virtual protection such as VirtualBox and Sandboxie is what I prefer so I have no reason to pay a yearly subscription for these anti-virus products.

Last edited by a moderator: