What's new

Seems MS killed Linux with last FW update :(

dk5ras

Hi,

a few days ago during patchday I received an firmware update. No obvious changes, bootloader still worked, but now as I wanted to restore my linux partition from a backup I can not boot it any more. Spent a few hours, even blanked the whole SSD and installed linux from scratch, but the bootloader does not work any more. Of course secure boot is turned off. The installation runs through, grub, everything looks normal, but it does not boot.

When I restore the whole SSD to its previous state with EFI, Win8 and Debian partition it immediately boots into Win, no grub bootloader any more.

Are the previous firmware files somewhere available, to try a downgrade? Can anyone confirm my observations?

I guess a workaround seems possible, with a Micro SD carrying some minimalistic linux to boot into the partition, but this is a major drawback, and I do not know enough about Linux to get this running - so I have carry two PCs into my holiday :-(

With best regards

Ralph.

mlknez

Hi,

a few days ago during patchday I received an firmware update. No obvious changes, bootloader still worked, but now as I wanted to restore my linux partition from a backup I can not boot it any more. Spent a few hours, even blanked the whole SSD and installed linux from scratch, but the bootloader does not work any more. Of course secure boot is turned off. The installation runs through, grub, everything looks normal, but it does not boot.

When I restore the whole SSD to its previous state with EFI, Win8 and Debian partition it immediately boots into Win, no grub bootloader any more.

Are the previous firmware files somewhere available, to try a downgrade? Can anyone confirm my observations?

I guess a workaround seems possible, with a Micro SD carrying some minimalistic linux to boot into the partition, but this is a major drawback, and I do not know enough about Linux to get this running - so I have carry two PCs into my holiday :-(

With best regards

Ralph.

Ralph, Turn on hyper-v and install Linux that way.

OP
D

dk5ras

Ralph, Turn on hyper-v and install Linux that way.

Well, I need a native Linux, because I am doing real time signal processing and such; virtualisation is not really an option, need full CPU power and direct USB access.

Ralph.

dave

I hope this is something that can be fixed.. was there previously a hack or unlock that was required that is now patched?

OP
D

dk5ras

Nope, no hack, no patch, nothing special, I just installed it. And this now does not work any more.

Any ideas how I could get around that? This really steals my time, wanted to do smth. productive, and now this load of BS :-(

machistmo

So if you are Microsoft and your sales are so bad you write down 900 million on left over inventory of one version of your tablet, the natural course of events dictates that you should then release a firmwware version for the other tablet version that pisses the other 12 users of that product right the hell off:confused:... of course... I mean it seemed pretty obvious to me the whole time.. Shaaaaa. :(

Last edited: