What's new

Sending Files from OneDrive

convergent

I'd love to redo the setup as I don't see where to pick the location of the sync'd files. I only see saved and backed up and these are the backed up files.

If you decide to redo it, make sure you turn off syncing before doing anything or you could have it sync deletions and remove all your files. I think I'd copy that whole directory somewhere safe and then go through the process of turning things off and removing OneDrive... then restart the process. Or, support from Microsoft might be able to solve it.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

If you decide to redo it, make sure you turn off syncing before doing anything or you could have it sync deletions and remove all your files. I think I'd copy that whole directory somewhere safe and then go through the process of turning things off and removing OneDrive... then restart the process. Or, support from Microsoft might be able to solve it.

Oh dear I just did it and I hope I did it right? I opened OneNote, Right Clicked on the notebook and chose properties and chose change locations. I noticed that it said it was for choosing the sync location of the notebook. Anyway I went ahead and did it for all my notebooks and they look correct.

Sync Location.png

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Well that didn't work. It isn't on One Drive any longer so it isn't showing up on my phone.o_O

I still have all the notebooks so I haven't lost anything and I can attach them back to OneDrive but I just don't know how to do both! I can't figure out how to use this on OneDrive and have it sync to my PC for the life of me.

Maybe I'll just uninstall Office and start over.

Last edited:

convergent

OneNote and OneDrive have a special relationship. You can't manage OneNote notebooks like other documents. You have to control their syncing from within OneNote. It will get stored in a OneDrive folder, but you can't just move the file into OneDrive on your own. I tried that once and it didn't go well.

We were originally talking about OneDrive, and now you are talking about OneNote.

Microsoft has made this ridiculously confusing and worse they have several different versions of things they call OneDrive that behave differently.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

OneNote and OneDrive have a special relationship. You can't manage OneNote notebooks like other documents. You have to control their syncing from within OneNote. It will get stored in a OneDrive folder, but you can't just move the file into OneDrive on your own. I tried that once and it didn't go well.

We were originally talking about OneDrive, and now you are talking about OneNote.

Microsoft has made this ridiculously confusing and worse they have several different versions of things they call OneDrive that behave differently.

Ok I surrender :)

Good news is I have my OneNote folders backed up on an external Drive.

Now I just uninstalled Office and reinstalled but it remembered my choices so OneNote is not connected to OneDrive.

Currently I have 3 O.N. folders on C in documents folder. Can you steer me in the best way to attach these back to O.D. please?

convergent

Is the problem you are having with your OneDrive folders not syncing, or with OneNote? As I said, they behave differently. I don't have a ton of experience with this but have had to setup a few times on my work laptop and home Mac, and now on the SP4. Each time I've done it its been a slightly different experience; and a couple of guys that work for me had it go differently still.

For OneNote, you should be able to create a new notebook and then delete the old one. After creating the new; you'd need to manually delete from your OneDrive folder via the web and delete from your folder on your machine. But you can't just move them around in OneDrive folders thinking they will sync, because it won't work that way.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I think I have found a happy solution for me although it probably is not best practice.
1) I have all 3 of my OneNote notebooks back in OneDrive and showing up on my phone correctly. Changes I make show on the phone and vice-versa
2) I changed the Backup folder to a folder in documents and set it to backup daily, I can quickly do a backup of changes if I'm doing a lot of work in OneNote.
3) Once a week I copy my documents folder to an external drive so I feel pretty safe and sound with this method for now

Thanks guys for your help and patience with me as my peace of mind has been restored:)