What's new

Sending Files from OneDrive

MickeyLittle

OneDrive confuses the heck out of me. I guess I'm just old school and so when I see the Documents folder on drive C I expect my Word and Excel files to live there but they don't do they?

Anyway I created a Word document and saved it. Then a little while later I tried to email it to someone but it doesn't show even under the OneDrive folders. So I open the file using Word and I can see it listed as being in a Drive D. Well I don't have a Drive D unless it is just out there on the cloud only and there is no way for me to attach it to an email.

Yep... I'm old school for sure... Help!

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

See if you have a OneDrive folder named this: C:\users\{account}\OneDrive\
If so, check out what is in there.

As usual you are spot on sir! The only thing that looks strange is my OneNote workbooks as they show as being 1KB. So where are the data files for them located?

One Note Small Size.png

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@MickeyLittle ,

Visit OneDrive.com and sign in there. Browse around at how you can download, upload, switch into "selection" mode and select multiple items, and also obtain links to share your individual files with others.

Those OneNote items in your picture are links, similar to shortcuts, to access the workbooks online. You may find the files useful to access directly on OneDrive.com , though the best way is to start the OneNote app.

Blessings!

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

@MickeyLittle ,

Visit OneDrive.com and sign in there. Browse around at how you can download, upload, switch into "selection" mode and select multiple items, and also obtain links to share your individual files with others.

Those OneNote items in your picture are links, similar to shortcuts, to access the workbooks online. You may find the files useful to access directly on OneDrive.com , though the best way is to start the OneNote app.

Blessings!

So basically the Excel and Word data files are stored in drive C documents folder and I can see the file sizes there to know that they are not just shortcut links but OneNote workbooks only have these shortcut links in drive C and all their data is stored in the OneDrive cloud?

I guess I'd like a way for my OneDrive data files to store in C just like the rest of my Microsoft documents do if that's possible.

Thanks for this info and if you know how to do what I'm asking please let me know.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Right-click on the OneDrive icon, bottom-right of the Taskbar, and choose Settings. You will find the option to save documents on your PC. OneDrive will then sync them to its cloud, but you will have them on your PC.

Read how this works here:
Saving files to OneDrive or PC

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I tried what you said but to no avail. So I sent an email to OneDrive support. Are you able to see your OneNote data files on your c: Drive?

convergent

I tried what you said but to no avail. So I sent an email to OneDrive support. Are you able to see your OneNote data files on your c: Drive?

On my machine(s), my setup is similar to your folder structure with the green icons showing sync status, except they are folders with sync'd files. If you go to the OneDrive tray icon as was suggested, and right click for Settings, then go to the Account tab and select "Choose Folders", what do you see? What I have there is a check for "Sync all files and folders in OneDrive" and then every folder is checked. I'm guessing yours are not checked.

Not sure if this applies to you, but if you also have OneDrive for Business being used with a school or company Office365 environment, you'll have two OneDrive setups, folder structures, and two of the cloud icons in the tray. One setup is for OneDrive, and the other for OneDrive for Business. If that's the case, make sure you are looking at the settings in the correct tray icon.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

On my machine(s), my setup is similar to your folder structure with the green icons showing sync status, except they are folders with sync'd files. If you go to the OneDrive tray icon as was suggested, and right click for Settings, then go to the Account tab and select "Choose Folders", what do you see? What I have there is a check for "Sync all files and folders in OneDrive" and then every folder is checked. I'm guessing yours are not checked.

Not sure if this applies to you, but if you also have OneDrive for Business being used with a school or company Office365 environment, you'll have two OneDrive setups, folder structures, and two of the cloud icons in the tray. One setup is for OneDrive, and the other for OneDrive for Business. If that's the case, make sure you are looking at the settings in the correct tray icon.

I believe I have it setup exactly like it is supposed to be. See attached screenshot. And notice the file sized which show that I have almost 8 gigs of pictures as well as 60 megs of documents but only 1.2 kbs of OneNote files and it you look at my 2nd post in this thread you'll see a screenshot showing that on Drive C the only OneNote files there are these 1KB internet shortcuts. And I really want the real deal on drive C as a backup as I don't want all my marbles in the cloud!

One Drive Setup.png

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Ok I finally found it. Sorry I'm so slow at this! But I have no idea why Microsoft has bury OneNote in the middle of nowhere while Word and Excel are sitting in plain site! Anyway, thanks guys for working with me as I feel much better now knowing where this is and that I have a backup just in case. :)

OneNote Backup Location.png

convergent

Ok I finally found it. Sorry I'm so slow at this! But I have no idea why Microsoft has bury OneNote in the middle of nowhere while Word and Excel are sitting in plain site! Anyway, thanks guys for working with me as I feel much better now knowing where this is and that I have a backup just in case. :)

That is not where you should have to go to find the sync'd files, so something is still setup incorrectly. I believe that you might have been prompted on where to put the sync'd files when you did the initial setup and might have clicked through.. but I can't imagine that it would have chosen that location. I have set this up on several computers and it always put the sync folder in a normal location.

If you don't want to redo the setup, you could also just drag that folder to your Quick Access so that you don't have to dig for it.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

That is not where you should have to go to find the sync'd files, so something is still setup incorrectly. I believe that you might have been prompted on where to put the sync'd files when you did the initial setup and might have clicked through.. but I can't imagine that it would have chosen that location. I have set this up on several computers and it always put the sync folder in a normal location.

If you don't want to redo the setup, you could also just drag that folder to your Quick Access so that you don't have to dig for it.

I'd love to redo the setup as I don't see where to pick the location of the sync'd files. I only see saved and backed up and these are the backed up files.