What's new

Sent in my New Surface Pro 128gb for replacement

lenny7118

Hello, I bought a new surface pro 128gb and it had very bad Light Leak ( Light Bleed ). I sent it in to Microsoft and I told them it's not even 20 days old and that I wanted a NEW surface pro 128gb and NOT a refurbished unit. They said they couldn't tell me if it would be a refurbed unit or new. I complained but they would not give me an answer. They said a refurbished unit is new, I looked up the federal law and a refurbished unit is not new and also they have to tell me if it's a refurbished unit. Also refurbished units if bought sell for less than what I paid for mine ($1070 with tax ) I'm still waiting for the other unit to arrive. Also the MS Tech support agent did not let me know that if I took it to a store that I would of gotten a New unit. If they send me a refurbished unit can I still take it back to a MS store and get a NEW unit ? Again my unit is less than 20 days old.

Refurbished units are not New units even if MS says that they are; according to federal law. Again mine is only 20 days old. I also contacted online support tonight and asked what constitutes MS to send a NEW or REFURBISHED unit and they could not answer me.

I need to know my rights ( I know what the MS warranty states but it does not override Federal Law ) and anyone's experience with sending in a unit as new as mine being only 20 days old to Microsoft for replacement what did you receive in return.

Thanks

OP
L

lenny7118

I already read that before you sent the link. I do not agree with the replacement policy. My surface pro 128gb was only 20 days old, maybe 16 hours of use , no marks, no scratches, everything worked except for the really bad Light Bleed. I should of been informed by MS tech rep. that I could of took it to a MS store and got a NEW surface. Now I'll be getting a refurbished unit that is not new and according to FTC rules is not new and can't be considered new as MS tries to state it is.
I am very peed off with MS and when my replacement unit comes if I see one mark on it and firstly if its refurbished ( which MS has to disclose to me ) I will be returning it until I get a new unit. If I have to I will file a complaint with the FTC about Microsoft's policy. I can see getting a refurbished unit if my unit was 90 days or more old but not on a $1070 Surface Pro 128gb that's only 20 days old.

Thanks

ArnoldC

I symphatize with you, although from where I am, the Consumer Policy is just 7 days but guaranteed brand new unit. :)

Ruffles

I started the other thread. I gave up on waiting for MS to replace my Surface and since Best Buy finally got some more in, I swapped it there for a new one and cancelled my MS advanced replacement. Because of this, I never found out what MS is sending for replacements.

That being said, given how impossible these things are to repair, I don't think they have a pile of defective ones sitting around that they are opening up, repairing, and then sending out as replacements. I would guess that MS is using new ones for warranty repair - which given the fact they are struggling to keep up with demand for new sales is why it's taking so long.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Lenny, I also understand your concern but instead of freaking out about the unknown how about waiting to see if you have an actual issue? Just because they can't tell you in advance if the unit you are going to receive is new or not does not automatically mean it is going to be a refurb. If you don't get a refurb then no big deal. If it is that important to you you do get a refurb then you have other options. 1) You can physically return the refurb to the MS store to get a new unit as you described, 2) You can buy a new unit and return your refurb. Just take a deep breath and relax. When the new unit arrives you can take the necessary action, if any, at that time.

JP

clownzer

I just received my exchange.... it was a BRAND NEW UNIT in the sealed box. I was told they are not servicing them yet as their policy for now is too exchange them for a new device.

OP
L

lenny7118

I just received my exchange.... it was a BRAND NEW UNIT in the sealed box. I was told they are not servicing them yet as their policy for now is too exchange them for a new device.
Glad to hear you got a new device. Can I ask you , when you sent your other device in did the MS tech tell you just to send in the surface pro tablet in the retail box and Not send in the charging cable and charger. I was told just to send my surface pro and nothing else.
Thanks

OP
L

lenny7118

Glad to hear you got a new device. Can I ask you , when you sent your other device in did the MS tech tell you just to send in the surface pro tablet in the retail box and Not send in the charging cable and charger. I was told just to send my surface pro and nothing else.
Thanks

I wanted to add that I don't know where you got your information from that Microsoft isn't sending out refurbished units ! Because they are. I've read on another thread ( Conditions of Replacement Units ) that people have received refurbished surface pro units.
So I don't know where your information came from.

Ruffles

FYI - Before I cancelled my replacement, I was told that I would be returning everything - charger and stylus included.