What's new

Sent in my New Surface Pro 128gb for replacement

OP
L

lenny7118

Hi, where did you get your information that Microsoft isn't using refurbished units as exchanges ? I spoke to MS tech support today to get an update on mt replacement and the tech person said mine was looked at the same day they received it and what MS does according to this tech agent is that they take one off the shelf and send it to me. He said it may be a refurbished unit. I won't know until I get the replacement because it will be marked with a sticker as refurbished. That will be a problem to return it for a New Surface to MS store or Staples.

Any suggestions !
Thanks to all.

Last edited:
OP
L

lenny7118

I started the other thread. I gave up on waiting for MS to replace my Surface and since Best Buy finally got some more in, I swapped it there for a new one and cancelled my MS advanced replacement. Because of this, I never found out what MS is sending for replacements.

That being said, given how impossible these things are to repair, I don't think they have a pile of defective ones sitting around that they are opening up, repairing, and then sending out as replacements. I would guess that MS is using new ones for warranty repair - which given the fact they are struggling to keep up with demand for new sales is why it's taking so long.

Hello, where and when did you get they information that MS isn't using refurbished units as replacements !
I spoke to tech support today and they said that mine was looked at the same day they received it and one was taken off the shelf ( which may be a refurbished unit ) and they will be shipping it to me. The MS tech said it will be marked refurbished and that will be a problem for me to return it to MS or Staples for a New surface pro if its marked "refurbished".

OP
L

lenny7118

Update on my returned surface. I called MS and spoke to a tech agent. He said mine was looked at the same day and what MS tech does is take one off the shelf and send it to me. It may be refurbished not new. I won't know until I receive it. The surface will be marked refurbished if it is.
If it is refurbished that may be a problem to return it to MS store for a new surface as I requested.
Any suggestions on what I can do. I still will be within my 30 days return option.
Thanks

CMD

Hello, where and when did you get they information that MS isn't using refurbished units as replacements !
I spoke to tech support today and they said that mine was looked at the same day they received it and one was taken off the shelf ( which may be a refurbished unit ) and they will be shipping it to me. The MS tech said it will be marked refurbished and that will be a problem for me to return it to MS or Staples for a New surface pro if its marked "refurbished".

There is surprisingly little info on this. Different retailers will say different things. Ruffles was saying that they probably don't "refurbish" units because they are impossible to open without damaging further (iFixit gave it the lowest score ever). I somewhat agree, what you see as Refurbished are probably returns by unsatisfied customers, where MS would then delete everything off the unit then reinstall Windows. Since they have been opened from the original packaging and used, they must be sold as refurbished even if there were no problems with them.

clownzer

Glad to hear you got a new device. Can I ask you , when you sent your other device in did the MS tech tell you just to send in the surface pro tablet in the retail box and Not send in the charging cable and charger. I was told just to send my surface pro and nothing else.
Thanks

Lenny,

I sent everything back except for the retail box... new device was received in a retail box, so now I have two...

quixoteloco

I just shipped my surface pro 128gb back for replacement. The box they sent has a document that says send only the surface pro unit and specifically has images showing not to include the accessories. So, I called surface support to confirm and the guy said only send what it says and not include the charger and stylus. He said they would create two orders if the power supply needed to be returned. When I spoke with another agent the first time, she said they will have to replace it so created an exchange order for it. Now I am worried I will receive a refurbished unit? I would be extremely unhappy if that is the case. Did everyone receive new or refurbished units?

Ruffles

Even though I returned my surface to Best Buy and got a new one 2 weeks ago as well as cancelling my already 2 week old "advanced replacement", I got the shipping notification today that my replacement is on it's way (4.5 weeks later). I'm just going to return it but I'll snap some pics and post what kind of condition its in once it arrives.

Ruffles

Here's some info...I see on myservice.surface.com that the replacement Surface is already registered to me. The serial number (023 239 230 xxx) is higher than both my original (015 830 430 xxx) that was bought on launch day and returned on 3/8 as well as my current tablet (009 458 230 xxx) which I got 3/8. Also, in the warranty details, it says: Service Unavailable - Microsoft no longer services this product. It does, however, have the button to buy the ESP.

Sit

There is surprisingly little info on this. Different retailers will say different things. Ruffles was saying that they probably don't "refurbish" units because they are impossible to open without damaging further (iFixit gave it the lowest score ever). I somewhat agree, what you see as Refurbished are probably returns by unsatisfied customers, where MS would then delete everything off the unit then reinstall Windows. Since they have been opened from the original packaging and used, they must be sold as refurbished even if there were no problems with them.

Interesting on the "don't refurbish". What happens when the battery no longer holds a charge??? Do we throw these very expensive computers out?

OP
L

lenny7118

Here's some info...I see on myservice.surface.com that the replacement Surface is already registered to me. The serial number (023 239 230 xxx) is higher than both my original (015 830 430 xxx) that was bought on launch day and returned on 3/8 as well as my current tablet (009 458 230 xxx) which I got 3/8. Also, in the warranty details, it says: Service Unavailable - Microsoft no longer services this product. It does, however, have the button to buy the ESP.
I contacted MS tech support again today and was on the chat screen, the MS tech wrote my surface was repaired and would be shipping out today. Nothing about me getting a new surface. Also my serial number still remains the same on that myservice.surface site. As a matter of fact all the info about my surface on that site remains the same. All the details are the same from the date in which they started the process - 3/18/13.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I contacted MS tech support again today and was on the chat screen, the MS tech wrote my surface was repaired and would be shipping out today. Nothing about me getting a new surface. Also my serial number still remains the same on that myservice.surface site. As a matter of fact all the info about my surface on that site remains the same. All the details are the same from the date in which they started the process - 3/18/13.

Hey, well that's good news! You know you aren't getting somebody else used unit but your very own Surface back. I guess you don't have to worry anymore.