What's new

September Patch Tuesday - No WiFi Fix for SP3

innotech

Dear Microsoft

I'm a huge "All Things Microsoft" fan, development partner, MSDN Subscriber, Microsoft certified guy (3 times), Office 365 subscriber, OneDrive user, Windows Phone fan (Lumia 920, now a 1520), and I own a Surface RT, Surface 2, and now a Surface Pro 3. All of my Windows devices jump on WiFi and STAY on WiFi...except my $1200 Surface Pro 3. So...you have 12 days to REALLY FIX this ridiculous problem. One day for every $100 I spent.

I had high hopes for the September update...installed it...rebooted. I put my surface in hibernation (I cannot sleep it because I use HyperV as a Windows Phone emulator in Visual Studio 2013), ANYWAY...I woke the SP3 from hibernation and was promptly greeted with "Limited Connectivity"...AGAIN.

I bought this SP3 as a pre-order...one of your first adopters. I try to use it and represent it in a positive manner and I have been directly responsible for you selling several other Surface devices.

But, I'm done. I cannot believe that with all the bright minds you have at your disposal that you cannot make a wifi adapter wake up and find my "home" network. Can you get the guys from Windows Phone on the case? Because my Windows Phone is always finding my network...and others. It works flawlessly -- it works as it should. My Surface 2 and my "old" Surface RT work flawlessly. WHY can't my SP3 which has undergone several "Patch Tuesdays" STILL not find my network.

12 days...Then I purchase a Droid, subscribe to Google Docs, join the (crappy) Android developer program, return my SP3 and purchase an Apple iWhatever...well, I draw the line there! I'll buy the HP Stream I guess...but no more Christmas Cards from me to Bill Gates!

Come on...seriously...fix this...PLEASE...

12 days...and counting...

ctitanic

Now seriously, you should use your business user channel to open a case with Microsoft Support. Unfortunately Hyper-V and connected standby are not compatible. At least at this point.

macmee

Come on! Seriously!!?

Whilst I am genuinely pleased to see how far the Surface has evolved with each iteration, yes, seriously, I can sympathize with OPs dissatisfaction surrounding wifi. The heating issue I can forgive due to the fact that it's a hard problem to solve, but an obnoxious driver problem in the third iteration of a product from one of the best software companies in the world? I wont throw them a bone here.

ctitanic

Whilst I am genuinely pleased to see how far the Surface has evolved with each iteration, yes, seriously, I can sympathize with OPs dissatisfaction surrounding wifi. The heating issue I can forgive due to the fact that it's a hard problem to solve, but an obnoxious driver problem in the third iteration of a product from one of the best software companies in the world? I wont throw them a bone here.
Did you read what I said about using the business channel? about Hyper-V?

unruledboy

Only developers have this issue. A very little part of the market.

I am also a developer, using Visual Studio 2013, web/desktop/mobile development etc.

It doesn't matter the hyper-v is enabled (for emulators etc.) or not, coming back from hibernation will put wifi to limited connectivity, or even worse, no wifi network found, have to reboot the computer, that's annoying.

@innotech
But talking about abandoning the Microsoft ship and jumps to android.... well, YOU MUST BE KIDDING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

kodos

This is a really annoying problem to have. It is particularly horrible because those of us who are working on Windows Phone apps (in support of the incredibly small Microsoft ecosystem) and who have Hyper-V installed, are more productive in some ways with a Surface Pro 2. My old Surface Pro 2 (given to my son) has none of these issues. It really makes me sad given how much I spent on this.

You don't want to make developers upset - because they are the ones who make stuff for your platform :)

ctitanic

It doesn't matter the hyper-v is enabled (for emulators etc.) or not, coming back from hibernation will put wifi to limited connectivity, or even worse, no wifi network found, have to reboot the computer, that's annoying.

Well, there is a lot of info here and in other pages about this problem. Microsoft has been improving the situation with each release. Most of the time the issue is present with routers that share the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. There are some routers better than others.