What's new

September Patch Tuesday - No WiFi Fix for SP3

ipaq_101

Everyone you know, what... that involves 1 person 2? LOL I know I'm not suffering from the "no network problem" and MANY other people too... you don't believe me also? It's only a small handful of you that are suffering from this and it sucks, but don't put us in the same boat as you! I'm sure MS will fix this and you all can get back to enjoying your devices as you should be. Perhaps try un-installing the drivers and re-install them and it might fix your problem... it did for another person on this forum...

Uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them does not fix the problem, I tried that many times and initially it does work but then reverts back to no radio.

After the latest wifi update and after leaving the SP3 in sleep for 8 hours, I woke up to.....WIFI....it didn't disappear! Also I have tried to give 30 minutes and and an hour between sleep modes and the radio is still there. I hope this is a permanent fix, will report back if the issues reappear.

DeltaXray

I am glad there are folks who have never experienced the issue but don't discount those that have it.

Nobody's discounting you I think all we're saying is that it is not an embedded design fault, it is not happening to everybody.

If you are having the issue and a soft-fix has not been found, then rather than aggravate yourself more with it posting here, get in touch with Microsoft and get replaced with a working unit.

You paid for a unit that works and there is clearly something wrong with some units that has been fixed in others. Make use of your warranty and get swapped out.

kodos

Your SP2 does not have Connected standby.

Perhaps you are not reading carefully - but are parsing out the details. I do not care about Connected Standby (which when it was enabled, rarely worked well anyhow).

I want my computer, which I paid a pretty penny for - to work well in the Microsoft Ecosystem. As a developer, who is working on Microsoft technologies, this seems rather silly to even have to state that the Surface Pro 3 is a Pain to work with - no hibernate without some fiddling, and now no sleep when developing for Windows Phone. Let that sink in for a moment - the realities of that, might explain why Microsoft is in trouble on both the app and hardware side of things.

dniezby

I'm wondering if people are actually having problems with their "router" firmware more than SP3 WiFi. When I'm at home, I connect to the Hi-Band and it FLIES though the web. No drops in connectivity. I DID have problems when trying to use AT&T hot spots but NEVER any problems with Xfinity hotspots.

Maybe, Microsoft didn't put out a fix because it's the equipment you're connecting TO not WITH.

bluegrass

Have you tried hibernation with Hyper V turned off just to determine if Hyper V is causing the problem for you.

Could someone explain to me why hibernation is so important for them. I never use it but if I did, I would turn off if I knew it caused me a lot of grief. I might also mention that I have a high tolerance for pain and I'm a very low upkeep type of guy.

malberttoo

Could someone explain to me why hibernation is so important for them.

Hibernation might be important to some folks, because it would mean that if they left their machine on, and walked away for a length of time, then they wouldn't lose all their work if their battery dies.

kodos

Yes, I did try Hibernate with Hyper-V turned off. It works just fine. But I need Hyper-V turned on, since a lot of the dev work I currently an doing is through the Windows Phone Emulator. :(

And the reason Hibernate is important for me, is that unlike the schizophrenic battery draining sleep mode, the machine actually stays OFF until I turn it on. And Hibernate restoration is super-fast on these computers due to the SSD, and Windows 8.1.

mikejg

I have the NetGear R7000 router too. Trying a different channel on the router might help. Now I've only had my SP3 five days so I've had less opportunity to experience issues but the very first day I was frequently losing my WiFi connection. Every 5-10 minutes it would show as Limited. This was on the 5 Ghz band with the default channel. I switched to 2.4 Ghz and did not have a problem. Then I tried 5 Ghz again switching to the 149 channel and did not lose my connection although WiFi seemed to be slow at times, like it had to reconnect in the background. After the update yesterday it was consistently quick and stable.

dniezby

Hibernation might be important to some folks, because it would mean that if they left their machine on, and walked away for a length of time, then they wouldn't lose all their work if their battery dies.

Yeah, but in reality, that's just poor work practice. First, IMHO, no developer worth his / her damn should be doing anything without utilizing auto backups. Also, who doesn't know how to hit the save button EVERYTIME you write something important or which cannot be easily recreated. I hit SAVE very often.

IMHO, there is NO need for Hibernate. Sleep, yes. Because it allows me to boot up quickly however, I've noticed on my SP3 that waking up and start from off, are both really fast. So, even sleep, is really something that can go the way of the Dodo Bird. Maybe it's because it's a SSD? Either way, on the Surface, even as I do some development work on it, has no real need for Hibernate. Hit save often. It's just silly not to. Regardless of the work you're doing.

Again, just my opinion. I still make it available if possible. Though, I; personally; have never used it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I do all of my Visual Studio work on a VM running in Azure....I can't imagine wasting SSD space on my SP3....

malberttoo

Yeah, but in reality, that's just poor work practice. First, IMHO, no developer worth his / her damn should be doing anything without utilizing auto backups. Also, who doesn't know how to hit the save button EVERYTIME you write something important or which cannot be easily recreated. I hit SAVE very often.

IMHO, there is NO need for Hibernate. Sleep, yes. Because it allows me to boot up quickly however, I've noticed on my SP3 that waking up and start from off, are both really fast. So, even sleep, is really something that can go the way of the Dodo Bird. Maybe it's because it's a SSD? Either way, on the Surface, even as I do some development work on it, has no real need for Hibernate. Hit save often. It's just silly not to. Regardless of the work you're doing.

Again, just my opinion. I still make it available if possible. Though, I; personally; have never used it.

This is completely YOUR work case from YOUR point of view. Everyone is different, and things happen sometimes. Just because YOU don't find any value in hibernation, doesn't mean that there isn't any.