What's new

September Patch Tuesday - No WiFi Fix for SP3

genenz

Attempted to do the firmware update and had high hopes that it would improve my AC WiFi, which currently only connects at 173Mbps (using a Netgear R6300 with DD-WRT).

I had tested in the weekend with a Dlink AC Router at my inlaws and it connected at ~650Mbps. So I was keen to find out if the firmware would make my connectivity better.

Install looked to go fine, rebooted as requested, and everything seemed install fine outside of the dreaded Thermometer icon (I have a i7 256GB). Ran Windows update again after first reboot, and it appeared there were a couple more updates. Upon reboot from the second set of updates, the device bricked itself - it wouldn't move past the Surface Boot logo. I can get into the BIOS, but it wouldn't proceed past this. Tried numerous methods including the vol up + power button, then vol down + Recovery USB + power button. Absolutely nothing is making it do anything. Anyone got any brilliant ideas?

Put a service order in to get the device replaced, but it's going to take a week before I get it. Being based in Hong Kong, it gets sent to a service centre in Mong Kok and you do an Exchange at the service center.

megatronium

Powered the SP3 on this morning: Limited. Connecting to ASUS RT-AC66u. Turn airplane mode on/off - connected. Have latest firmware.

Last edited:

bluegrass

I wish Microsoft would either not have put "connected standby" on the Surface & since they did, they should have stated that WiFi connections are susceptible to being disconnected using any of the following:
1. connected standby sleep
2. hibernation
3. hyper-v

If they did the above, there wouldn't be all the problems that are being reported. I have no argument that the problems are real but I do think if the above were clearly stated by Microsoft, users could easily live with these caveats.

foghat

I wish Microsoft would either not have put "connected standby" on the Surface & since they did, they should have stated that WiFi connections are susceptible to being disconnected using any of the following:
1. connected standby sleep
2. hibernation
3. hyper-v

If they did the above, there wouldn't be all the problems that are being reported. I have no argument that the problems are real but I do think if the above were clearly stated by Microsoft, users could easily live with these caveats.

Maybe, just maybe that could fly for point 3 since that is something one has to enable.

No way a disclaimer would fly for points 1 and 2. Nor should it. They need to make wifi always work with these modes.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There are WiFi issues for some users, but they are not wide spread. I have 3 SP3 devices in my household from 2 different lots and none suffer the WiFi issues....we also have an additional 5 devices in my office and all are working as expected.

Client Hyper-V looks like it causes many of the problems, but any Hardware based Hypervisor tends to be temperamental with Wireless Connections and Power States outside of S0 and S4 are also a challenge for virtualization.

Again this is why I use a Virtual Machine in Azure for my test and dev. environment....

foghat

There are WiFi issues for some users, but they are not wide spread. I have 3 SP3 devices in my household from 2 different lots and none suffer the WiFi issues....we also have an additional 5 devices in my office and all are working as expected.

Client Hyper-V looks like it causes many of the problems, but any Hardware based Hypervisor tends to be temperamental with Wireless Connections and Power States outside of S0 and S4 are also a challenge for virtualization.

Again this is why I use a Virtual Machine in Azure for my test and dev. environment....

And we have 2 SP3's in our house (I assume from different lots based on purchase dates) and both of them have experienced loss of the wifi device. The issue may not be widespread, but it certainly is not an anomaly.

I am curious how you know none of your 5 office machines have experienced issues. Since a reboot also fixes the 'missing wifi adapter' issue, is it possible you never would have heard about it, as the user did what all users are told by their tech guys when they have an issue - reboot.

Pepper

Are you using Hyper-V?
I was, but uninstalled it after encountering many WiFi-related bluescreens.

I also occasionally use a USB gigabit adapter, maybe that caused it to be added?

I think I shall delete the bridge and just go with a direct connection.

Gary.M

I had a whole load of updates come through last night including a firmware update and my Surface Pro 3 i5 128gb feels like a brand new machine now and I have not experienced any WiFi problems since updating

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
And we have 2 SP3's in our house (I assume from different lots based on purchase dates) and both of them have experienced loss of the wifi device. The issue may not be widespread, but it certainly is not an anomaly.

I am curious how you know none of your 5 office machines have experienced issues. Since a reboot also fixes the 'missing wifi adapter' issue, is it possible you never would have heard about it, as the user did what all users are told by their tech guys when they have an issue - reboot.
They are all in Upper Management and they all bought them based on my recommendation when this firm was interviewing me, and I have become the default go to person if anything happens....so I would know

mcsenerd

Against my better judgment, I'm going to give the thing a complete restore in the next day or two. I really hate doing so, because of the time involved, but I just have to see if it will "fix" it. If it doesn't...this thing is getting replaced.