What's new

Serious battery capacity decrease

J515OP

Super Moderator
Only 14 cycles yet 27,950 mwh? Is this because you use it a lot while it is plugged in charging?

I don't understand the report and the criteria so I'm not concerned with the results for now. Until I understand the "normal" range and how the battery status is actually determined don't put a lot of stock in the report. Something as simple as a recalibration may be necessary or this could be totally within standard battery variance. If anybody knows more about it please feel free to share, otherwise it is sort of like comparing free RAM on different units.

I tend not to use it too much while plugged in. Mostly unplugged but rarely (if ever) run the battery very low.

JP

OP
T

ttxzee

Update! I finally COMPLETELY discharged my surface. It self shutdown at 5%, but i found the USB port still had power, so i connected a portable HDD to it. a few minutes later "Surface" showed up on the screen like it's booting but right away it changed to a picture of "a low battery in a circle", after that USB lost power.

Now the full charged capacity is 29548mWh, which is better but still 6% lower.

Update! I finally COMPLETELY discharged my surface. It self shutdown at 5%, but i found the USB port still had power, so i connected a portable HDD to it. a few minutes later "Surface" showed up on the screen like it's booting but right away it changed to a picture of "a low battery in a circle", after that USB lost power.

Now the full charged capacity is 29548mWh, which is better but still 6% lower.

thanks for the update. that just shows that what you see is not always what you get if you tweak a little ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Looks like one big drop then steady so I am guessing a recalibration would help.
Screenshot (16).png

bosamar

I see no reason to get Surface owners all pumped up with worries about bad or dying batteries. The RT battery will do just fine in the long run.

andrew

Surface purchased on 11/3/2012:

DESIGN CAPACITY 31,502 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 30,888 mWh
CYCLE COUNT 55

Much ado about nothing?

benryder

Surface purchased on 11/3/2012:

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 30,888 mWh
CYCLE COUNT 55

Much ado about nothing?

Perhaps not for you, but I got mine on Christmas Day, have a lower Cycle Count than you (and others on here) yet my full charge capacity is lower.

I only charge when the battery is low, and tend not to use it when it's charging..

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 28,971 mWh
CYCLE COUNT 17

J515OP

Super Moderator
Perhaps not for you, but I got mine on Christmas Day, have a lower Cycle Count than you (and others on here) yet my full charge capacity is lower.

I only charge when the battery is low, and tend not to use it when it's charging..

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 28,971 mWh
CYCLE COUNT 17

I don't think andrew meant for his numbers specifically. We really don't know if there is any reason to be concerned if your numbers don't "match." Right now it is all a lot of FUD so that is the much ado about nothing. If you are concerned about your battery life try a battery run down test. Fully charge and then run a movie on loop and see how many hours you get. If you are around 8 hours you have nothing to worry about despite your "low" numbers.

FFX

hmm, I don't get any numbers?
DESIGN CAPACITY mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY mWh

Anyone else who has run into this?

Last edited:

Ruffles

Surface Pro 128GB

Design Capacity: 42002 mWh
Full charge Capacity: 42128 mWh
Cycle: 11

When I dig down further in the report, my longest battery stint was 5:01 and the shortest is 2:17. Since OS install, looks like I'm averaging 4:22:15.