What's new

Serious complaint SP4/Win 10 Security

Aussieeek6342

It seems evident SP4's were prematurely released. I am onto my fourth replacement. I saved confidential medical files with word on my third SP4 using the Win 10/Office 365 encryption 'service' and relying on advice from MS Answer Techs, backed up those files on a USB. When the SP4 device sure enough encountered problems and failed to operate like all the others, I replaced it and attempted to transfer my critical files only to discover I didn't have permission to open or transfer them! I was advised the files would automatically decrypt to a device with the same Microsoft account, however this is evidently false.

The original device was reset and returned to the store and apparently even though I backed up the encryption key, MS support staff are stating NOTHING can be done to recover my files, but they apologised for my inconvenience! In fact, they are hiding behind their terms of warranty as though the fact that they don't accept responsibility for data loss somehow excuses them for providing misleading and false information which I relied upon.

Notwithstanding these SP4 devices are so expensive we could at least have expected them not to break down; it's one thing to be deceived about battery life lasting 8 hours a day when in truth you're lucky to get 3 (I7, 8mb, 256gb). But since these devices are so prone to problems surely MS could have a way to ensure encrypted files which are backed up don't remain encrypted to their owners! I asked the supervisor at MS to transfer the call to a SP4 developer or Win 10 one or at least ask and he kept saying that was impossible and they were sorry for the inconvenience. Really! Please can someone help with this obvious flaw in MS security? RE: SRX1338002660ID

Last edited:

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Nobody provides any guarantee against data loss, pretty much for any reason. Data loss is not Microsoft's responsibility.

I know of several people who have purchased dozens SP4s since October and none have had to return one, yet.
As for the battery life, almost nobody on any phone or laptop or 2 in 1 gets what the manufacturer claims. A few people can but it takes using it close to the same way the manufacturer did and highly tuned and adjusted. I typically get >5 hours but have reached close to 8 several times.

With all that said. when you copy files from internal storage to external storage it should have been decrypted.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum

Nobody provides any guarantee against data loss, pretty much for any reason. Data loss is not Microsoft's responsibility.

I know of several people who have purchased dozens SP4s since October and none have had to return one, yet.
As for the battery life, almost nobody on any phone or laptop or 2 in 1 gets what the manufacturer claims. A few people can but it takes using it close to the same way the manufacturer did and highly tuned and adjusted. I typically get >5 hours but have reached close to 8 several times.

With all that said. when you copy files from internal storage to external storage it should have been decrypted.
Unless you chose to encrypt on the external storage...

OP
A

Aussieeek6342

It was a drag and drop. I didn't encrypt on the USB. I did select yes to backup the encryption key on the dodgy sp4. Does anyone know of any solution in these instances?

Welcome to the forum

[snip].

Even when the data loss is due to their encryption, and inability to decrypt, across devices or accounts, even with key? That seems as unapologetic, unsubstantiated and disingenuous as the vendor's response.

Last edited:

leeshor

That same response would apply to any vendor. That's life. Nobody can know what all the circumstances may have been that caused that to happen.

OP
A

Aussieeek6342

The circumstances were described; followed MS Answer Tech advice to the letter resulting in significant loss, stress and risk of disciplinary action. I have spent countless hours dealing with MS Answer Tech's 'identifying the problem' every time and providing contradictory information. To this, if there is any solution, and I am refusing to accept Microsoft's appalling evasiveness and denial of any contribution, please let me know, thanks :)

OP
A

Aussieeek6342

Sorry....just catching up.

Recovery Key for your old machine is stored in your OneDrive (Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.) and is still accessible, as far as permissions, you may need to take ownership of the files and decrypt with your key above.

Yes, found recovery keys but according to MS I still can't decrypt the files...as you say it's a permission issue. When trying to open the files the system searches for the old device. So it seems the way MS have established the system is encrypted files are linked to a specific device rather than an account or key, and if this information is correct what's the point of a 'recovery key'... Even logging in as an administrator on the latest sp4 without security settings enabled I have no permission to move or open my files.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, found recovery keys but according to MS I still can't decrypt the files...as you say it's a permission issue. When trying to open the files the system searches for the old device. So it seems the way MS have established the system is encrypted files are linked to a specific device rather than an account or key, and if this information is correct what's the point of a 'recovery key'... Even logging in as an administrator on the latest sp4 without security settings enabled I have no permission to move or open my files.
You will need to get to the Security Tab and click on the Advanced button and take ownership of all of the folders and files....