What's new

Set secondary display as location of Desktop?

Earthdog

I have a Dell 22' that I want to have as the PrimaryDisplay with my desktop shortcuts etc.. Is this possible? At the moment I can only have the Surface as the main desktop display and the secondary as the extended.

The other annoying issue is if I place open apps like Outlook 2016 wihile running on my extended display and the Surface goes to sleep. Once it wakes up the open apps are all back on the Surface not on the external display.

Any help would be appreciated.

Darnellmc

I use my SP4 with dual monitors daily and I use one of those other displays as Primary and the other dual monitor as secondary. When using the docking station, I turn the SP4 screen off totally. And only the separate dual monitors have display.

I have never hooked my display to a monitor without the dock. But when I use my dock, and go into display settings, I have the option to select other monitors as my primary display and then select the SP4 display and disable it. So the SP4 display is totally off.

Nuspieds

I have a Dell 22' that I want to have as the PrimaryDisplay with my desktop shortcuts etc.. Is this possible? At the moment I can only have the Surface as the main desktop display and the secondary as the extended.

The other annoying issue is if I place open apps like Outlook 2016 wihile running on my extended display and the Surface goes to sleep. Once it wakes up the open apps are all back on the Surface not on the external display.

Any help would be appreciated.
When you go to Settings > Display, click on the external monitor and enable the option "Make this my main display".

Yes, if there are sleep issues and it does not recognize the external monitor after waking up, then things will be re-arranged.