What's new

Set up new Surface 2 without keyboard.

OP
D

Dave T.

You guys were right.... piece of cake setting it up with the on screen keyboard. However, doing anything in desktop mode... not so easy. :LOL:

ctitanic

You guys were right.... piece of cake setting it up with the on screen keyboard. However, doing anything in desktop mode... not so easy. :LOL:

Forget about the desktop mode and you will see how easy everything becomes.

ctitanic

Not something you can ignore with Microsoft Office RT (before Gemini, anyway). :p

But I have a micro-mouse for my Office use.

That's my only tie to the Desktop Mode, that and some configuration applications. Something that I hope will end soon.

OP
D

Dave T.

Got the new type cover 2. Working pretty well, except I had to add surfaceforums.net to the capability list before I could post. The cursor was jumping around and the input was very slow.

kristalsoldier

That's my only tie to the Desktop Mode, that and some configuration applications. Something that I hope will end soon.

More than anything else, I am looking forward to Office Gemini!!! That would - assuming MS does not strip out the various functionalities of the suite - make the Surface close to an 'ideal' device - closer than what it is already.

oion

More than anything else, I am looking forward to Office Gemini!!! That would - assuming MS does not strip out the various functionalities of the suite - make the Surface close to an 'ideal' device - closer than what it is already.

Well, except that doesn't preclude the use of a keyboard at all, per the OP's title. If you can type a paper in Word using the on-screen keyboard--Gemini notwithstanding--more power to you. :p

Got the new type cover 2. Working pretty well, except I had to add surfaceforums.net to the capability list before I could post. The cursor was jumping around and the input was very slow.

It's this forum's software, which is not an official MS board. There used to be an app in the store just for this forum, but apparently it was pulled.

kristalsoldier

@oion...the OP was referring to "setting up" the Surface without the physical keyboard...exploiting the Surface (2) to the maximum necessarily involves the use of the keyboard and streamlining the Surface experience will be a lot more achievable with Office Gemini (but this is only speculation on my part).

oion

@oion...the OP was referring to "setting up" the Surface without the physical keyboard...exploiting the Surface (2) to the maximum necessarily involves the use of the keyboard and streamlining the Surface experience will be a lot more achievable with Office Gemini (but this is only speculation on my part).

Ah, yes. I still wonder how they're going to stuff all the ribbons and menus into a fat touch interface, though.