What's new

Setting Up A New Surface Pro-128

Russ

Well, as previously predicted and expected, I now have the joy of setting up a new Pro-128 -- generously provided to me by that somewhat contumacious person of the female gender, whose lineage descends from Wu Zetian, and about whom my previous comments caused a couple of forum participants to get their panties in a bunch.

Anyhow, having said that, it is your typical Pro-128, with a 64GB card added. I moved my touch cover from the RT to the Pro, so the RT, whatever its future fate, is now a pure tablet. At first, I had trouble getting the Pro to recognize my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse, but finally figured out it was a battery problem. With new batteries, it was recognized immediately. I must say, I'm gonna miss that little Wedge Mouse -- but not enough to buy one, since I already have a mouse. No surprises yet, as it does seem that I have trod this path before.

This Pro will replace my HPEnvy laptop, which will find its way down the food chain to become my daughter's new laptop. I checked the disk usage on the laptop, and found that the 128G Pro, with a 64G D: drive, will do the job handsomely, with room to spare. A new USB 3.0 ethernet adapter is on the way from Amazon, but, meanwhile the USB2 device that I was using with the RT is doing fine and making the setup job a lot easier.

Have not yet decided what to do about Office. I have unused product keys for both Office 2010 and 2013. I have to ponder that one a while to decide which one I want to invest in this device, and which one fits my usage needs and preferences.

I'm really looking forward to installing the Canon utilities and using the Pro as a Remote Capture device with my Canon camera -- but that is for another day.

So far, I have moved over a couple of favorite utilities, and it is now downloading and installing the updates issued since its birth.

Meanwhile, the aforementioned descendant of Wu Zetian, aka "Ladyfriend," is deliriously happy with her new Pro, and is looking forward to taking it on her trip to China (can I say "China" in this forum?) in a couple of weeks.

Well, updates are downloaded and installed, so the Pro would like my attention.

Film at Eleven -- or maybe Eleven-Thirty.

Take care,
Russ

wvevie

I've been enjoying following your journey with both Pros.

I'm most interested to hear your "ladyfriend's" report after her trip. I think that will be a real test result.

OP
Russ

Russ

I'm most interested to hear your "ladyfriend's" report after her trip.

Yeah, me too. She will be gone for about six weeks, and covering a lot of territory, so it will be a real test. The computer is an integral part of what she does on those trips. The transition from XP on a laptop to Win8 on a tablet is interesting -- lots of new stuff and new habits. She really likes the ability to make quick, hand-written notes in Chinese, then save or send them. Of course, the touch concept is not new for her, since she has a smartphone, and even had an iPad for a while until she decided it was useless and gave it to one of her grandkids.

I also exchanged her XP system in her home office for a new Win8 system, so she is immersed in a Windows 8 environment. Fortunately, she is not change-averse, and she is a smart Lady, so she is having fun with all the new stuff.

Take care,

Russ

Last edited:
OP
Russ

Russ

Good luck Russ, let us know how it goes.

Bosamar --

Thanks; going well, so far. First, I had to figure out how to get it to sync with my Microsoft account. My DSL was down when I first set it up, so it just registered under my user name. After fretting about this for a bit this morning, I found under Change PC Settings the opportunity to convert my Local Account to my Microsoft Account. In short order, all was synced, and my dog is on my desktop where he belongs.

Also solved a problem I've been whining about since I got my RT: Inability to read .mobi books. Instead of using the Store Kindle app, I installed the Kindle for PC app. Now I can sideload my .mobi books, so I will whine no more -- well, at least for a little while.

Still haven't made the Office decision, although I'm leaning toward Office 2010. I'm very comfortable with it, and, since I tend to use Office in a keyboard/mouse environment, the touch-enabled features of 2013 aren't that important. So far, I'm just putting off that choice, hoping that I will be struck by a brilliant flash of insight that will lead me to the right choice. (That doesn't happen to me a lot, but it could.)

It felt really strange to pick up my bare, naked RT when I headed for bed last night and wanted to continue the book I am reading. I moved its Touch Cover over to the Pro, so it is unadorned. I thought I might keep it just as a reader, but with my ability to read .mobi books on the Pro, that won't last long. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, it's fun. I always like new stuff (except women).

Take care,
Russ

OP
Russ

Russ

Well, the fun continues. This one is different from my Ladyfriend's because I am replacing my laptop, whereas hers was really a "from scratch" project. This one involves moving registered software (Photoshop, etc.) with the attendant de-activations and re-activations. Some interesting and amusing encounters today:

* Reading comprehension matters (aka, Words mean things) -- I needed to install something from disc onto the Pro. I remembered I had an olde USB CD drive in the shop. Found it easily because the box was labeled "USB CD Drive." Hooked it up and the Pro recognized it immediately. Put the disc in and got a message, 'Please insert a disc in Drive E:." I opened the lid and re-inserted the disc. Same message. After shouting, "I did already!" at the poor, innocent Pro, I decided to re-examine my basic premises. The disc was DVD. The box was very clearly labeled, "USB CD Drive." How many H's in "DUHHH . . . .."

* Discovered that I gave somebody here some bad advice a while back. I told him he could use RDP with Local Resources to install from disc onto his Pro. Didn't work for me. Message said (approx) that "Windows Installer could not install under Remote Desktop." I don't know if it was that particular program, or if it's general case. If the latter, I owe somebody an apology. Finally solved the problem by copying disc contents over the network from my desktop to the Pro, and installing from there. That worked.

* Still haven't made the decision on Office 2010 vs. 2013. Still waiting for that blinding flash of insight

* Meanwhile, I'm just muddling along. Since this is for me and I don't have a trip planned, there is no deadline nor urgency.

Regards,

Russ

OP
Russ

Russ

Well, it's done -- except, of course, for the inevitable, asymptotic tweaking. Notable issues and aspects:

* Decided to go with Office 2010. I'm comfortable with it, and probably wouldn't use the touch features of 2013 enough to justify wasting the product key. Besides, I may need it for something really important later -- like upgrading my Ladyfriend's desktop machine. A month+ with 2013 on her Pro may nudge her in that direction.

* Biggest annoyance was how many times I had to click "Continue" just to move a shortcut from one place to another. I feel like I've been supervised by the ghost of Steve Jobs.

* All of my .mobi books are on it, and I finished the book I was reading on the RT last night. Sadly, I think the RT is about to become a paperweight -- unless, of course, one of my kids does something extraordinary, and I decide to pass it down the food chain. Older daughter is already getting a really nice laptop, so she doesn't count.

* Was able to install PhotoShop from the DVD via the network to my desktop without problem.

* I use RealPlayer as my music App, and it is very content to have the music on D:. Problem was, I didn't want to spend the day trying to decide which music to move over to the Pro, so I just started a transfer of the whole 18GB from desktop to Pro, and took my dogs down by the creek. It was almost done when we got back.

* With all my favorite programs installed, I still have over 70GB of free space on C:, and, even with all that music and my .mobi books, I have 37GB free on D:. If I ever start to feel crowded, I can always do some pruning on the music or books, and if C: ever becomes a concern, which I seriously doubt, I could consider off-loading the Recovery Partition.

So, I'm a happy Pro user and all is well here -- except for my poor little, bare naked RT. It's already looking lonely and unloved.

Take care,

Russ

Cowboy

I don't think you owe anyone an apology. I install software for many different computers using remote desktop all the time and I don't have any problems. Must be that particular program.