What's new

SFC Scan Finding Corrupt Files Post Update

ABswl13

Since updating my Surface Book (i7, 256gb) with Microsoft's 11/18 updates, I've noticed that when I do an SFC scan, I get notified that it found corrupt files but was unable to repair them. I did a complete reset and reinstalled everything, including the most recent firmware update, and when I did another SFC scan, I once again received the same message that it found corrupt files but was unable to repair them.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there something else I can try to fix this?

Thanks for your suggestions/comments.

OP
A

ABswl13

Run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Then run SFC /Scannow

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and received the following error"

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Does that mean anything to you? Is there something else I should try?

Wayne Orwig

I was getting that. Plus the 'source file not found' when I ran DISM. Plus I had a problem with one some software I had installed.
I did a full reset/restore, whatever it is call. I'm just now getting all of the updates back in.
I assume SFC will give me the same error once I'm fully back. Bummer.

I also just ran sfc/scannow out of curiosity and am getting corrupt files that can't be fixed. When I try to run DISM, it says the option is unknown, error: 87.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have a SP4 anymore but I ran it on both of the two I had. IDK why it wont run now. maybe they don't want that. ;)

olimjj

Since updating my Surface Book (i7, 256gb) with Microsoft's 11/18 updates, I've noticed that when I do an SFC scan, I get notified that it found corrupt files but was unable to repair them. I did a complete reset and reinstalled everything, including the most recent firmware update, and when I did another SFC scan, I once again received the same message that it found corrupt files but was unable to repair them.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there something else I can try to fix this?

Thanks for your suggestions/comments.

Not trying to be picky, but to be more precise, the reply statement is "found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them"
This elevated (Admin) command prompt scan has been giving me the this same response on all 3 of my Surface Pro's, 1,2,3 for some time now. I am not sure that the algorithm used still applies to date, or that Microsoft even supports its use in this regard. If you are not having a specific system related issue, I would not use it to open a Pandora's box of alerts to worry about. I have done just that, basically ignore it, if my machine was behaving to my satisfaction, and to look elseware for a solution if it was not.

CrownedMartyr

I'm experiencing the exact same thing with both the SFC and DISM commands. Have you tried to identify which file is corrupted? Instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Mine seems to only reference the opencl.dll file (see attached). I spoke with Microsoft support and for what it's worth, they said not to worry about it.

Attachments

• sfcdetails.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 491

Sprayingmango

Can anyone detail how to do the DISM repair? Also, my new surface book will not update firmware on some devices in my device manager. Some controllers and the UEFI have exclaimation points near them and refuse to update themselves.

Niterider4

I have read elsewhere that the sfc/scannow issue is related to there being more than one version of opencl.dll. The version on the SB is fine, but sfc expects to see a different version, so it throws an error. The sources I read said that it is not a concern.