What's new

SFP6 can't turn off wifi

SteveL

My surface pro 6 is running 1803. The updates are all automatic. I am connected to a MS dock with Ethernet.
I noticed that the WiFi icon was showing when I am connected to the dock and supposedly using the hard line.
Trying to turn off WiFi in settings just gets a spinner for 15-30s and then the toggle switches back ON!
If I unplug the Ethernet line to the dock I loose connectivity but the network name is the same as the last WiFi used. And the hard line speed is 50-70 Mbps when a comp next to is off the same router hub gets 120 Mbps.
When I disabled the WiFi device in Device Manager the network icon switched to the monitor type but name was still the WiFi name and the speed did not change.
Anyone else seeing this or anyone have any suggestions.

SteelSteve

I don't know off the top of my head why you would be having trouble disabling your wifi adapter. For your wired connector, did it come with any drivers which may need to be installed? when you plug in the device and go to Device manager do you see any unrecognized devices?

Turbo4AWD

My surface pro 6 is running 1803. The updates are all automatic. I am connected to a MS dock with Ethernet.
I noticed that the WiFi icon was showing when I am connected to the dock and supposedly using the hard line.
Trying to turn off WiFi in settings just gets a spinner for 15-30s and then the toggle switches back ON!
If I unplug the Ethernet line to the dock I loose connectivity but the network name is the same as the last WiFi used. And the hard line speed is 50-70 Mbps when a comp next to is off the same router hub gets 120 Mbps.
When I disabled the WiFi device in Device Manager the network icon switched to the monitor type but name was still the WiFi name and the speed did not change.
Anyone else seeing this or anyone have any suggestions.

1903 may help, but maybe making sure the Surface Dock firmware is up to date and then reinstalling the wifi drivers will work? Otherwise, I would try installing 1903 after the making sure the surface dock firmware is up to date. It may fix a few things.

Let us know if any of this resolves the issue for you. Definitely interested in finding out the culprit.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Firmware and drivers are matched with Windows 10. Update Windows 10 for latest drivers.

OP
SteveL

SteveL

Thanks for the suggestions. I am at a loss also, I can not install 1903 and the update junk says I am all up to date.
Something is just broken here. I have had to re-image the system three times and have reset the system five times since purchase last Dec. Those were done during about 6 hrs on the phone with MS Support last Dec and Jan. I will wait to see if some future update magically fixes this. That has happened all to often these last 5 years.
Happy Trails (Except MS)

Turbo4AWD

Thanks for the suggestions. I am at a loss also, I can not install 1903 and the update junk says I am all up to date.
Something is just broken here. I have had to re-image the system three times and have reset the system five times since purchase last Dec. Those were done during about 6 hrs on the phone with MS Support last Dec and Jan. I will wait to see if some future update magically fixes this. That has happened all to often these last 5 years.
Happy Trails (Except MS)

You should be able to get the 1903 update from the Microsoft Website with the update assistant or something like that.