What's new

Shame on Microsoft - that are rendering RT unusable

joddle

With no proper support for RT anymore those like me who have a Surface RT are finding that one by one apps are starting to fail and cannot be updated. One of the reasons for getting the RT was to be able to use Skype on the move but now even this basic app does not work any more and the new version won't load as its not compatible. Microsoft have left us in the lurch - promising at the outset a simple system but now not supporting those who bought into their promises. Soon my it looks like the Surface RT will be no more than a plastic table mat! Why could they not at least keep some basic utilities like Skype operable for a decent length of time thus giving those who bought into the technology at least a chance of using their devices for a few years more.

OP
J

joddle

No I have not - I did not even know it existed until your note - will give it a go today and report back - thanks - still very unhappy with Microsoft though as many other apps no longer function. They seem to want RT to simply go away - they could at least help it shuffle off by supporting a little those who did invest in it.

Hard.Wired

I truly feel your pain. Unfortunately, there is a point of diminishing returns for companies to continue supporting older hardware/software platforms. Traditionally Microsoft has a minimum support to EOL (end of life) that averages around 2-3 years from a product release date. Sometimes more, but they typically only do that if it benefits them in some way. Do the RT tablets still get security updates?

OP
J

joddle

No - no updates for well over a year now - the only updates are to many apps which stop working then the newer versions n won't load saying they are incompatible. Its only a matter of time until the Surface RT becomes a tablemat. I am just hoping the Netfix app will keep working for some time as its about the only thing the tablet is used for now!!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have updated mine several times this year (don't use it often) last updated October 29 2017. Both Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 RT are still updated. Just checked for updates and there are 11 important updates ( 3 for Win 8.1 and 7 for Office, 1 for Defender) plus 1 optional update (a 2017 -11 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows RT 8.1 KB4050946).

With that in mind I do whish MS would make unlocking the device for other uses possible. Perhaps by allowing users to register their choice online to get their device unlocked in a secure and verifiable manner.

I don't think it serves anyone well to remove apps that are otherwise usable.

Edit: My Surface RT was last updated on December 4th 2017. Yes those are Security updates.
Windows 8.1 RT : Getting security updates.
Office 2013 RT : Getting security updates.
Windows Defender : Getting updates.

Last edited:

Hard.Wired

Without security updates, it really starts to become a liability. I'd advise only connecting it to a separate isolated virtual network or, at the very least, a guest network.

There may be life left for it after your app options die.

I took an old phone and made it into a HVAC controller and security camera. Works great!