What's new

Sharing my opinion on Surface Pro 3 from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

kundas1

wow, I am glad I wasn't the only one thinking this... I read his post just moments after he posted it and wanted to immediately delete it as it was so preposterous on so many levels , but thought maybe not as the OP would complain about that... anyways I thought I've seen it all... lol OP I think you didn't give the SP3 a JUST or fair chance but that's just MY OPINION

SRVwannab

Dear OP,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but- paragraphs are incredibly useful in our written language. They make reading long posts so much easier.

OP
D

ddywz

Wow it's amazing what replies you get these days. You can tell how nice some people are and how rude some people answer. Anyway, thank you all for your feedback and I apologize for not using paragraphs on my long post. Sorry about that.

In a summary all I was trying to share was that PS3 has a warped and uneven display. Whether you care or not it is your choice and not mine. To me, IT MATTERS A LOT and this is my opinion. Do not tell me to power the device up and then evaluate it. Powering it up just hides the issue while powering off exposes it out. Either way the display is unacceptable for me on this “flagship” device.

That’s all, nice and short. Mr. “super” moderator, I truly apologize for this PREPOSTEROUS posting of mine. You have my permission to delete it and my profile too.

Thanks again,

Snickers

It's not a manufacturing defect - there is an element of distortion, but it's due to the way that the digitiser is integrated and the various coatings that are needed to get it to work.

The reality is that a perfectly flat and 'true reflected' display would mean a really poor pen experience with less accuracy at the edges and without the right coatings/surface (no pun intended) the pen would drag and scratch.

If anything it gives me comfort that MS have done this properly - they have clearly tried to improve on the Wacom experience from SP1/2 - I didn't have one so I don't know if it's any better but it's certainly the best pen input screen I have ever used.

You don't see the uneven nature when in use. If you look closely at the screen under a bright torch light you will see the dot matrix for the digitiser and how this needs to sit. It's designed for a purpose.

Think of it like this - if you have a car with a heated front windscreen (active electrical and not hot air blown) and you look at it under close scrutiny you will see the lines of the active electric heater - and it's also a bit distorted to compensate. When you are driving it's not that noticeable and the advantage outweighs the disadvantage. However - if you have ever had to have one replaced you will realise they are a lot more expensive.

MS has put a pretty expensive screen on the SP3 - it's not cheap corner cutting but a compromise to get the technology to do what you want it to do.

wynand32

Powering it up just hides the issue while powering off exposes it out. Either way the display is unacceptable for me on this “flagship” device.

Huh. "Powering up ... hides the issue." Um, er... what? Seriously, I'm trying to parse that notion, and I'm failing.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huh. "Powering up ... hides the issue." Um, er... what? Seriously, I'm trying to parse that notion, and I'm failing.

Basically he's saying that as a moniter it is fine, but he's annoyed because it's not suitable as a mirror.

bluegrass

Basically he's saying that as a moniter it is fine, but he's annoyed because it's not suitable as a mirror.

Beautiful. I haven't tried mine as a mirror yet. I must admit that I do leave it off when cleaning the screen because that's the only way I can see the smudges & finger prints. I wouldn't be surprised though if things looked distorted using it as a mirror. I think they follow a different set of rules for making mirrors than the screen on the Surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.