What's new

Short term experience with SP3 I7 512

OP
L

Len J

Thanks that's interesting, mine will be D800 files, 36mp, I'm expecting it to wheeze... quite a bit, BUT it will be my travel companion, and I'm not expecting the performance to match my 2 year old home build desktop PC (benchmarks suggest PC twice as good as SP3 no surprises there really as not only is it the full blown i5 processor it's also got a dedicated graphics card), as long as it beats my old Dell laptop in to the shade I'll be happy, and my old laptop managed to import and render previews from a days shooting with the D800.... eventually :)

I'm lusting over a 810...but I really like the controls and feel of the bigger body.

Post when you have some results. LR import and rendering has always been a "Start it and go get a cup of coffee" operation.

Len

ctitanic

- not having a 4G capability (Nit)

Here is my opinion on this point and why is better not to have This.

1) You need to pay an entra "line" to your phone company.
2) Today it's 4G the Fastest and better but that can change at anytime and you wont be able to update your tablet.

Solution, Just use your phone as an access point. You are paying just one line, one service. If next month the technology changes you can update your phone to the fastest and better technology without touching your Tablet.

Last edited:

malberttoo

Here is my opinion on this point and why is better not to have This.

1) You need to pay an entra "line" to your phone company.
2) Today it's 4G the Fastest and better but that can change at anytime and you wont be able to update your tablet.

Solution, Just use your phone as an access point. You are playing just one love, one service. If next month the technology changes you can update your phone to the fastest and better technology without touching your Tablet.

This is my feeling as well. I know there are other folks with some usage cases where it would be better for their device to have on-board data, but I'm fine tethering.

I bought an iPad when they first came, it had data on it. Using it for a while I realized I didn't need it. Since that time, I've always only gotten data from my phone.

raqball

One of the things I miss about my Chromebook Pixel was the built in LTE.

I was thinking just yesterday that having an LTE Surface Pro would be nice but I do see your point. I can just use my phone and save on the extra carrier charges.

kristalsoldier

This is my feeling as well. I know there are other folks with some usage cases where it would be better for their device to have on-board data, but I'm fine tethering.

I bought an iPad when they first came, it had data on it. Using it for a while I realized I didn't need it. Since that time, I've always only gotten data from my phone.

I share the same sentiment. Of course, it helps to be in the UK where data allowances are generous as compared to what I read is prevalent in the US and Australia and of what I have personally experienced in Canada. For example, for £15 (rounded off, including VAT) per month, I get aside from phone calls and text messages, unlimited data and tethering limited to 8 devices. First and foremost, I don't have 8 devices. So, I am liberal in my use of data and tethering services. What would I do with an extra connection and an extra bill to pay? For me tethering works just fine and anyways, I am almost always in a wifi-enabled space (at home, at work, at cafes, at bars, at restaurants) at least in the UK. The only time I have the tethering on is when in transit, but those are also the few times that I am looking at the scenery and not at a screen (be it a phone or the SP3 or the iPad Air or my desktop machine etc.).

malberttoo

...for £15 (rounded off, including VAT) per month, I get aside from phone calls and text messages, unlimited data and tethering limited to 8 devices.

That is really good! I don't know about where everyone else is at... but in my area between ATT, Verizon and a couple local carriers, you can't really touch anything "reasonable" until about $50/month US // £30. AT&T doesn't even have unlimited, I don't know about Verizon.

I was thinking just yesterday that having an LTE Surface Pro would be nice.

I believe a member of the Surface design team said that they considered it briefly, but decided against yet another model, due to the prevalence and ease of tethering nowadays.