What's new

Should I buy a 1gen Surface Pro or go for SP2?

ocimpean

I know Surface pro 2 is out for a while already, but I have hard time justifying spending north of $1000 for a device I would not use professionally.
On my small intuos pro, I like to draw in manga studio, play with photoshop, sketchbook, and toonboom studio. In best buy I got the chance to draw a little onscreen on a SP2 and love it.
Not the price though...
Recently, on MS site, it seems that SP1 was drastically reduced, to a more manageable $599. I was thinking to get it without a keyboard, just for drawing and such.
I could eventually go up to SP2 64 gb, but is it worth it, or the old model will do the job for me for $300 less :confused: ?
Thanks

CrippsCorner

Nearly half price? I'd opt for the Surface Pro. The second version is obviously going to be slightly better (especially if you go for the higher RAM models) but you're paying an awful lot for the privilege.

OP
O

ocimpean

Nearly half price? I'd opt for the Surface Pro. The second version is obviously going to be slightly better (especially if you go for the higher RAM models) but you're paying an awful lot for the privilege.

Exactly how I was thinking. At $999 plus tax for the SP2, I find it way overpriced. $599, now we're talking :)
I believe, HD4000 is good enough for what I have in mind, Photoshop, Manga Studio and 2D animation with ToonBoom Studio, I am worried slightly about battery life, but I hope I can find a power supply when in need.

lparsons21

I agree. The Pro 2 is a little faster, has longer battery life and the tilt base is a bit better. None of that adds up to $300 more to me! :)

My uses are as light as yours and I find the first Pro is much more than adequate for my use.

dleuen

Yeah, $599 for a SP is totally worth it. Differences on SP2 are not that big unless you really, really need it.

mtalinm

I would have said "definitely SP2" back when the difference was a couple hundred dollars. Now I'd definitely go for SP1. I say this as someone who traded in an Sp1 for an sp2.

grabejud

price wise, get the SP1, and if battery is your main concern, just add in an external batt if you dunn mind the bulk.
speed wise not much difference. if you want more memory ram (8gb) then the sp2 makes sense

Tekn0

Is there any improvements in the actual Wacom Digitizer hardware between the SP1 and SP2?

My main requirement is for drawing (Manga Studio, Artrage) and usually I make drawings with about 30-40 layers at 3000x3000 pixels (144 dpi). I don't know if 4GB RAM will be enough for this.