What's new

Should I buy a 1gen Surface Pro or go for SP2?

grabejud

Is there any improvements in the actual Wacom Digitizer hardware between the SP1 and SP2?

My main requirement is for drawing (Manga Studio, Artrage) and usually I make drawings with about 30-40 layers at 3000x3000 pixels (144 dpi). I don't know if 4GB RAM will be enough for this.

hardware wise, if im not wrong, sp1 and sp2 main difference is the new lower power consumption cpu, and more memory options.
4gb of memory is still good plenty of work.

CrippsCorner

Is there any improvements in the actual Wacom Digitizer hardware between the SP1 and SP2?

My main requirement is for drawing (Manga Studio, Artrage) and usually I make drawings with about 30-40 layers at 3000x3000 pixels (144 dpi). I don't know if 4GB RAM will be enough for this.

I read on here recently about about a user that wasn't happy with the Surface Pro 2 stylus... personally I've never had a problem with my original Surface Pro. So maybe it got worse? Wouldn't put it past Microsoft lol.

OP
O

ocimpean

Styluses looks the same to me, I have one from the SP1 I bought and a separate SP2 stylus. Both work OK for me.

drolem

I read on here recently about about a user that wasn't happy with the Surface Pro 2 stylus... personally I've never had a problem with my original Surface Pro. So maybe it got worse? Wouldn't put it past Microsoft lol.
For all practical purposes, the displays and styluses are identical. The SP2 display is supposed to be better calibrated, but I haven't seen anything definitive on it. If I can find my Blue Eyes Pro, I can probably borrow a couple of SP2's from coworkers and test them.